Best length for Sunfish tiller extension

Espo205

Upfitting two old sunfish for some spring fun...wondering what size tiller extension is most commonly used?

It is all up to the user...I typically install 36 inch length. Racing sailors may use 48 inch. Old wood tiller extensions were 24 inch. You can always start long and then cut it down as you sail and find the ideal length.

What sailcraftri said. We like Harken Battlestick 36 inches. For just fun recreational sailing we made longer tillers that went to the edge of the cockpit and sailed without any extension. Once we got back into sailing a bit more and comfortable with the boats we cut the tillers back and added extensions.

What sailcraftri said. We like Harken Battlestick 36 inches. For just fun recreational sailing we made longer tillers that went to the edge of the cockpit and sailed without any extension. Once we got back into sailing a bit more and comfortable with the boats we cut the tillers back and added extensions.
I believe that the Battlestick is a Ronstan product.

I replaced my damaged 24" wooden extension with a 36" battlestick (from intensity sails). I am purely recreation and I would not go any longer. As it is, it sometimes gets in the way when tacking.

It's been a while but I remember I had an adjustable length tiller extension. Don't know what brand. Google it.

Fred

Thanks - I bought the Nautos extension from Intensity Sails - but I have a question...(and I have never used one of these before)... it seems like it is going to stick straight up in the air once mounted to the tiller. I realize the rubber part at the bottom just up from where it connects is a little flexible but how flexible is it...does it bend all the way down so the extension is parallel with tiller, boat, etc., without breaking? Thanks for the help!

The straighter up the extension sticks the better! It means the joint is new and "fresh". And yes, it will easily bend every way you want. As time goes by, the rubber softens, and after what is usually several years of use, develops a crack which is the sign to replace the joint. Storing it unbent/detached makes it last longer.

I've got 4 of these adjustable Ronstan Aluminum Battlestick Tiller Extensions. 2 on my Sunfish and Laser back east and 2 on my Sunfish and Laser out here in California. Here's the link.

Ronstan Adjustable Battlesticks

All 4 that I own are the RF3131 model, which telescopes from 29 to 48 inches. On all my boats, I frequently adjust the the tiller extension lengths, depending on the conditions and my point of sail. Why? Because I can. There are times when it's absolutely the most convenient to have a short tiller extension and shortly thereafter it's best to have as long a one as you can get

They are a whopping $96 each. But I have forked over the cash for 4 of them without even batting an eye. That should tell you something about how much I like them from a utility standpoint.

Cheers,

- Andy

Reactions: tag
I found that discarded Ski poles make great extensions. They already have a handle and the tubing is the perfect diameter to go over the Ronstan Universal joints that you can get at Intensity Sails. Here is a photo of my wife's Minifish tiller extension - only 24" as the boat is smaller.

Attachments

• Minifish tiller extension.jpg
    Minifish tiller extension.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 139
We sell out of out store in Buffalo NY. We primarily sell Harken as they are a great product for a reasonable price.
Raced Force 5's for years, can't imagine why one would need a 48" extension. The tiller on a Force is much shorter than a Sunfish. Many cut them off to be able to slide in front of them. J22 I believe as I would scooch all the way up to the rear of the cabin rear face heading up hill. I used a 60" stick when driving a J22.

I made a shortie from wood as well as a plastic clip from polyethylene. The stick is 27 inches, plenty unless you are hard core racing. Any longer is tough to swing under the yoke. Rudder is home made too. Last summer, new mounting bracket and kick up. The pivot is a highly compressed stack of soft rubber washers and 3/16 rope. The clip is screwed to the tiller. Do yourself a favor and replace the steel wire yoke with Dynema.

Attachments

• 20E03A64-851C-4F94-A64E-4E6DBF511A6B.jpeg
    20E03A64-851C-4F94-A64E-4E6DBF511A6B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 121
  • 55ADC05C-39A0-45BA-A7BC-1985B268C2F3.jpeg
    55ADC05C-39A0-45BA-A7BC-1985B268C2F3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 109
  • BE9E3305-E12A-4CD2-9953-9396B14CCA5D.jpeg
    BE9E3305-E12A-4CD2-9953-9396B14CCA5D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
  • 3BF27BE9-9D89-49DB-92B9-2CDBDAE6B9BD.jpeg
    3BF27BE9-9D89-49DB-92B9-2CDBDAE6B9BD.jpeg