Best Landing Strategies

Lane Waddell

Hello All,

I'm not new to sailing but I am partially self taught and am trying to hone skills. Where I put in on Lake Murray in SC is a regular boat ramp with rocky beach on either side. Typically you are on a full fledged run coming back in. As far as I know you really can't depower on a run with a sunfish, does anyone have any strategies to help prevent the boat from crashing up against the rocks while I get the sietech to wheel her in? Usually the boat goes sideways beam to the waves and rocks against the rocks (I know its not a good thing). There was no damage the first few times but this most recent time it cracked the gel coat in two places. Below is what I've tried so far. If anyone else has any ideas (besides finding a new spot) I'd appreciate it.

What I've Tried:
- Running striaght up the ramp and jumping out as soon as its shallow enough to stop the boat.....winds up either flipping or catching some wind before I can lower the sail and going sideways.
-Going "at irons" (dead upwind) right next to the dock, lowering the sail, and paddling in..... The wind current was too great for the paddle even with the sail down and wound up being pushed ashore (not where I wanted to be).

I was thinking if I could put weights on the sietech and sink it at a fair depth I could jump out and pull it on it before I got up to the rocks...

Oh yea, I also tried unclipping the mainsheet from the briddle at the last minute and letting the sail vane freely to loose power but because of the sail cant go all the way around it still caught some wind.

P6110041-002.JPG
With 5 extra feet of line:

1) Releasing of the longer mainsheet would seem to come in handy.

2) You can install a cam cleat on the deck in easy reach of the cockpit, and drop the sail entirely.

Last edited:
I also tried unclipping the mainsheet from the briddle at the last minute and letting the sail vane freely
I was just going to suggest this :D It's never failed me (in the Laser).
the sail cant go all the way around
What's keeping it from doing that? How do you run your halyard?

In the Sunfish, can't you just take the sail down on the water, directly upwind of the point on the shore where you want to go, and just let it drift?

I was just going to suggest this :D It's never failed me (in the Laser).
What's keeping it from doing that? How do you run your halyard?

In the Sunfish, can't you just take the sail down on the water, directly upwind of the point on the shore where you want to go, and just let it drift?
Yes, you can and then you paddle in or you let the wind take you in.

I always though that was one of the advantages of the Sunfish
where you could simply let go of the sheet sailing any point
of the compass. Sail may look a little funny pointing in the
wrong direction but who cares. I always carry a paddle and
let go the sheet then paddle to waist deep water and wade in.
Every time I see someone trying to sail directly to the landing
bad things happen. Like my Uncle crunching a hole in the bow
hitting a rock. It is a wet-bottom-sailor so I always expect to
go for a swim anyway.

If you are trying to moor you boat while getting a beach dolly,
get one of those dog anchors you screw into the ground. Looks
like a giant wine-cork remover. You can screw it to the bottom
in two or three feet of water. Also good as a temporary mooring spot for
your Runabout just outside the designated swimming area.

I always though that was one of the advantages of the Sunfish
where you could simply let go of the sheet sailing any point
of the compass. Sail may look a little funny pointing in the
wrong direction but who cares. I always carry a paddle and
let go the sheet then paddle to waist deep water and wade in.
Every time I see someone trying to sail directly to the landing
bad things happen. Like my Uncle crunching a hole in the bow
hitting a rock. It is a wet-bottom-sailor so I always expect to
go for a swim anyway.

If you are trying to moor you boat while getting a beach dolly,
get one of those dog anchors you screw into the ground. Looks
like a giant wine-cork remover. You can screw it to the bottom
in two or three feet of water. Also good as a temporary mooring spot for
your Runabout just outside the designated swimming area.

I actually thought that was a great idea and bought one....until I realized the sand is too coarse and it won't take bite. It just falls over.

Just out of curiosity are you using the long rod with the "single plate helix "
or the short bent rod that looks like a cork-screw.

I actually thought that was a great idea and bought one....until I realized the sand is too coarse and it won't take bite. It just falls over.
Sometimes, you've got to push down firmly while turning. Use a short pipe or pry bar for leverage.

Wouldn't a small Danforth or similar anchor...although a challenge to store on the Sunfish...but maybe no more than a "dog corkscrew"... would be much easier? Just toss it overboard. Even a light mushroom type "lunch hook" would work...unless the wind is blowing the squirrels out of the trees.

That said, I'd think pointing into the wind as you've mentioned...but in the RIGHT place...so you'd drift back to your desired landing area. Maybe 30 ft out or so??? Quickly lower the spars and worry about sail neatness later....drift back...tidy up....pull boat ashore...retrieve dolly, etc...

Realizing this isn't necessarily landing 101 and might take a little thought and pre-learned skill set...but certainly very feasible. Know your water depths JUST offshore so you can hop in and maybe take care of the boat as well.... Each landing may be totally different....unless you have wind speeds and directions that never change.

You can just leave the Dog-Corkscrew in while you go sailing and pull it up
before you leave. Hopefully it's close enough to shore and out of the way
where someone won't hit it with a prop. I'm not sure I'd want that thing
in the cockpit. Anyway it would be gone the first time you capsize.

I think temporary mooring may be the best solution.....maybe a dumbell with a buoy throw it out there before he
Just out of curiosity are you using the long rod with the "single plate helix "
or the short bent rod that looks like a cork-screw.
It's a corkscrew...the one you can get at walmart I think.

I'd think a 2.5-5 lb dumb bell could be easily tired to the hiking strap or maybe to the bottom of mast with a small towel to prevent marring deck.

Come in close, throw it out get the dolly. If public area may not be wise to leave it out with buoy while sailing.

I guess that is another good question. Does anyone have experience with how much weight you need to keep a sunfish from deagging anchor in higher winds? I was thinking 30 lbs in case the sail caught wind

The boat should always swing pointing into the wind if tied off at the bow. With mainsheet slacked your sail should never fill.. 10 lbs should be fine in winds up to 20 mph. A small Danforth will hold in higher winds vs just a weight tied to an anchor rode

But if you are pointed dead down wind wouldnt you need the sail pointed the same (directly over the bow "backwards" to not catch any wind? Even with the sheet out all the way my sail only slightly goes ahead of the mast. So a small anchor sounds like a good option then?

Come on people, stop talking about anchoring a dinghy, that's totally ridiculous! It would make everything just more complicated, not less.

Lane, your problem is (and I already asked about it) that your boom doesn't swing through 360 degrees. Find out why and we'll continue from there.

So the rigging I used has the halyard going through the fairlead and over the goose neck and down to the deck cleat. I was taught this keeps the mast from falling out if you capsize. The tension of this line keeps it from swinging out all the way. Im also not sure if the mainsheet is long enough. ..i thought it was standard issue.

Got two things going here, keeping the boat away from rocks while getting
the dolly and depower the sail. Forgoing the anchor problem for a minute you need
to install a cleat on the mast. The remaining line will go through the fairlead and
use the deck cleat to keep the mast secure.

You don't have to hang on to the sheet, just let it go into the water. If you want it longer big box stores sell line that
is better than what came with the boat, the standard issue is a bit short. If
the sail is not totally depowered then no anchor will work.

The sheet length is not a problem, because you can disconnect it from the traveler. You can then sail a short distance with a 1:1 mid-boom sheet before letting it go to make the boom swing forward when you want to slow down. (You can do the same when going out in an onshore breeze, connecting the sheet as a last thing when you're clear of docks, breakwaters, etc.)

Solution 1 for halyard: if you don't have a halyard cleat on the mast, get one. You can then loosen the halyard tail that works as a vang/security line independently of the part that actually keeps the sail up. There are good diagrams of that on this forum. (I notice Webfoot1 just pointed out the same...)

Solution 2: just head up and stop directly upwind of the ramp, drop the sail, and turn downwind again. Is there something that keeps you from doing that?

Lali/Webfoot,

I agree there are two separate issues. Depowering and keeping the boat off the rocks.

Depowering - So I understand that the sail should be able to vane freely in the wind in front of the boat. The problem ive had thus far is that my rigging would not allow for the sail to get to the totally depowered posistion.

That being said, this most recent time I did get the sale down and still the sheer wind and waves pushed the boat into the shore and I coud not overpower with a paddle. Which means I may have to rely on sailpower until the last second.

I like the advice of a longer line to vane the sail when approaching on a full run. I also like the idea of the mast cleat except that even with the sail down I seem to not be able to overcome the wind and waves. Although I would likely have a better chance with the time saved using a cleay vs. Unwraoping everything. Does a cleat on the mast hurt it's structural integrity?

Keeping the boat off the rocks - This it looks like I either put out a temporsry moore of maybe jump off when shallow enough if I can depower in time. However, I still need a "helping hand" when I run to get the dolly. Thats usually when she goes sideways on the rocks. Any thoughts?

Not clear if 'your' ramp has docks.
The one on the lake where I frequently sail has docks on both sides of the ramp with a few cleats. That makes 'landing' a lot easier.

this most recent time I did get the sale down and still the sheer wind and waves pushed the boat into the shore and I coud not overpower with a paddle.
Leave out the paddle, it's another useless complication. Just jump in the water and walk the boat to the trolley.
I like the advice of a longer line to vane the sail when approaching on a full run.
There has been some talk about this in the Laser department, and it may be useful in very strong wind when you need the full purchase again after you've gone through a narrow place with the sail "vaning" forward. At all other times, the extra length is just useless. The Sunfish sheet is SO easy to un/hook, too. You might as well use that function.
even with the sail down I seem to not be able to overcome the wind and waves.
Don't try to "overcome" the wind/waves, ride them toward the point you want to go. It's where you drop the sail that counts here.
I still need a "helping hand" when I run to get the dolly. Thats usually when she goes sideways on the rocks. Any thoughts?
Leave the trolley in a place where you can reach it while, preferably, holding on to the boat, or at least a very short run away. (That's where you left it when you went out, right?) If someone has taken it farther while you were sailing, pull the boat halfway out of the water and put something soft under it so you can leave it there for a short while. Your life jacket is ok for this (unless the ramp is very rough). And of course, if there are any other people on the shore they're certainly jerks if they don't help when you ask.

Where is your ramp exactly? (I've found your lake already :D ) Depending on the geography, you may need special techniques for some wind directions.

Look up Shull island boat launch. Its not the main one its the one on the East side of the bridge.

There has been some talk about this in the Laser department, and it may be useful in very strong wind when you need the full purchase again after you've gone through a narrow place with the sail "vaning" forward. At all other times, the extra length is just useless. The Sunfish sheet is SO easy to un/hook, too. You might as well use that function

I agree. This is probably the best method. I tried this and it wouldnhave worked if the boom wasnt restricted preventing it from going totally down wind.

Don't try to "overcome" the wind/waves, ride them toward the point you want to go. It's where you drop the sail that counts here.

This isnot entirely possible. Althoughwe have been talking about running dead down wind it is probably more often a reach. Sonas soon as you de power the winds and waves push you along the shore more than towards the ramp. You cant come in any closer upwind either because of the rocks.

still need a "helping hand" when I run to get the dolly. Thats usually when she goes sideways on the rocks. Any thoughts?

I think the keyis 1. Get depowering down pat and then 2. Just jump out and pull the boat onto a long rubber mat.

I reread the original post. Since you are launching/landing from a dock just turn upwind as you approach. As soon as you turn into the wind uncleat the main and let drop to the deck. Then use a painter line to tie to dock while you get dolly. This is how I land downwind on beach between 2 aluminum ramps. Typically i can have the sail land on deck but i f should land in the water just lift onto deck and after loading hoist for a few minutes to dry.

I don't see a problem as you should be able to avoid rocky beach. if you miscalculate and head toward the rocks hop off boat and walk to dock, tie off and get the dolly.

Actually your issue is preferable to having only a rocky beach and no dock.

Look up Shull island boat launch. Its not the main one its the one on the East side of the bridge.
To be totally honest, that looks like a very easy spot to land! I imagined some long and narrow waterway between rocky breakwaters...

It looks like only southeasterly winds would cause the problems you've been talking about. Coming in, sail to a spot about 50 metres directly to windward of where you left your trolley, head up, stop, drop the sail, and... relax. When the water gets shallow enough, jump in, and walk the boat to the trolley (which you obviously can leave at the water's edge on the gravelly beach).

Forget about your sheet or halyard. (And don't even think of anchors or paddles.)

Drjay: he's not using a dock. The closest looks very much like a private one.

Ya know...thinking....deploying twin parachutes...like on dragsters, and dropping 10 ft vertical spikes....both port and starboard...and some sort of catapulting mechanism to get you quickly to shore......oh yeah!!!!!

Shull Island Ramp:

Fullscreen capture 10302017 74226 PM.bmp.jpg

Assuming it's the area I've designated "A"?

With my old rounded daggerboard, I just wait 'til it starts scraping the sand, then I slide off—usually on the opposite side from the main—and corral the boat, turning it into the wind. Then I drop the main, raise the board and rudder, and pull it to shore where its wooden ramp awaits.

/

Back