Best Hikers? Let's hear your thoughts...

Pennlaser

I'm looking to buy some hiking pants -- 3/4 or long, for most seasons. I'm buying what you tell me to get. Thanks

I love the SEA hiking pants with the velcro waist-lock feature. They don't ride down, and you don't need any annoying suspender straps.

I have a pair of mustos, don't wear any shorts over them and the battens are starting to wear through in three places at the tips, near the top of my thigh. --- I've only worn them about 10 times.

Heard the SEA are good, plan on trying those next.

I've used zhik powerpad for years and recently started using SEA waist lock. The ZHIK power pads can be very good. After the effort of getting the things on, they are very comfortable and in no way restrictive. The downside is that the pads are prone to sliping down towards the knee. Seems to happen to a different extent to everyone. For me it was just annoying enough for me to look for an alternative - the pads slipped down to the point that the back of the legs are on the gunwale, instead of the pads on the gunwale.

SEA ones are a bit better. The pads still slip down a little bit, but the pads are longer so there seems to be a greater margin for error - even if they slip a bit I'm still hiking on pads instead of legs stright on to gunwale. They also have more protection in the knee then the zhik ones, and seem to a bit more durable and cheaper to buy in the first place.

The most important thing to know about hikers is that everyone has a different experience. What fits like a glove for one sailor can slip right down for another. Best bet is to get ones that fit right - really tight on shore as they stretch when wet, and try and get the pads in the right spot - high up on the leg rammed right into he bottom of the @rse cheek.

Best of luck.

I've been using Gill Pro-Hikers: http://www.gillmarine.com/gb/products/pro-hikers-446/835
The good part is that the pads velcro to the inside of the wetsuit, so are easy to place exactly where you want them. They stay in the right spot, and the hiking pad is comfortable and works well.
The bad part is that the shoulder strap slips off, which is an annoying distraction and hard to slip back on when you have a jacket and buoyancy vest over the top. I've started crossing the straps in front of me to stop this happening, and instead put up with an unfortable lump of plastic on my chest. Also the buckles kept slipping, so the straps would lengthen. I sewed them at the right length.
I found the 3/4 length an issue, and my legs look neopolitan shaded with darkly tanned shins. The lack of shin protection meant I often come back to shore with grazes on the backs of my shins, I think from them touching the cockpit edge as I hike out.
Strutting around in neoprene Lederhosen is not exactly a great look either.
In future I'm going to try to install the Gill hiking pads into a Ronstan skiff suit. Hopefully that will be the best of both worlds.

Rooster hiking shorts with armour for me. Armour easy to adjust which is a positive. I also cross the straps over to stop then sliping off

How big of an advantage to you find hikers in general. I had a pair as a youth. Haven't used them in my middle age.

How big of an advantage to you find hikers in general. I had a pair as a youth. Haven't used them in my middle age.

Hikers are essential, allow you to hike harder for longer. Means you don't cut circulation off and its much more comfortable. Also lifts your bum a bit higher so you get less drag. Even on the light wind days I wear them as I hate hiking without them.

As to which ones a lot of it depends on your build as I find the cut of hikers varies massively. I've been wearing Rooster Pros for years now. My current lot (I have 3 pairs) are all getting near end of life so I have tried on most brands going over the last couple of months and I can't beat the Roosters for my build/shape. Only makes I haven't found to try on are SEA and Magic Marine.

Try lots on before buying a pair and make sure they are very tight whilst dry. If you can put them on easily when dry they are too big as once they get wet they will stretch.

I would guess you had ones that were made of nylon and sort of loose fitting? I never used them, but they didn't appear to stay in place very well Newer styles are made from neoprene and are form-fitting like a wetsuit.

I sailed a Laser for a year or two without hiking pants. The edge of the hull just dug into the back of my thighs. Very uncomfortable. I won't sail at all without them now.

Back