Best fix for slice in wood

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
Sooo… as I was busy cutting the hull off my sailfish, I learned the hard way just how close was too close when using my circular saw…

I have three 1/8” approx slices in my pretty sides. One is so shallow, I think the new Wood colored Thixo 2.0 will work just fine. The other two are about an inch or so deep. Should I mix up my own Thixo or total boat expoxy with some oak sawdust and fill them with that? I suppose I could also make some super thin oak slices and epoky them into the gap instead?

I need this to of course be watertight, but also pretty as possible because she’s getting a clear finish. These slices are where the hull is being attached, so at least that should be less a visual problem that if I did it at deck level. ;-)
IMG_8793.jpeg
IMG_8796.jpeg
IMG_8797.jpeg
image.jpg

A little spline of oak or similar hardness of wood would be our route, adhered in place with THIXO WOOD. Just the THIXO WOOD would bridge that small gap as well.

When we made boo boos at first I fretted about them, but as our boats age with us I enjoy those areas retelling a story, signs of patina and character.

Be sure to leave fingerprints on some of the epoxy on the inside of the boat, your personal signature. You might even write a nice note for future restorers to find. All of our family left at least one fingerprint inside of BARBASHELA before we did the final assembly.

IMG_2146.JPG

And just between you and me, we hid a signed Restoration Report, a few old square nails and caulking in a ziploc bag underneath the transom seat in case anyone is back there in the future. We didn't tell the Museum :)

IMG_5215.jpeg

RRD’s owner is in town visiting his brand new (yesterday!) grandson and he came by and saw RRD in progress. We are in the home stretch now! She’s going to be a true 100 year boat if I have anything to say about it

A little spline of oak or similar hardness of wood would be our route, adhered in place with THIXO WOOD. Just the THIXO WOOD would bridge that small gap as well.

When we made boo boos at first I fretted about them, but as our boats age with us I enjoy those areas retelling a story, signs of patina and character.

Be sure to leave fingerprints on some of the epoxy on the inside of the boat, your personal signature. You might even write a nice note for future restorers to find. All of our family left at least one fingerprint inside of BARBASHELA before we did the final assembly.

View attachment 56086

And just between you and me, we hid a signed Restoration Report, a few old square nails and caulking in a ziploc bag underneath the transom seat in case anyone is back there in the future. We didn't tell the Museum :)

View attachment 56087
Oh! And I did ask the owner if I could perhaps sign her inside. He said I could practically put a plaque on her. ❤️

Sooo…
I have three 1/8” approx slices in my pretty sides. One is so shallow, I think the new Wood colored Thixo 2.0 will work just fine. The other two are about an inch or so deep. View attachment 56067el. ;-)
I've done that to a plastic sawhorse--more than once! :oops:

It looks like a tongue depressor will fit--or two popsicle sticks. Lather-up with your color of Thixo and insert into the void.

As previously mentioned above, I'd add a (say) 1"x2"x10" inside to give the cut some "insurance" against any future misadventure.

Or...saber-saw some supporting piece into a flat-topped "shield" design and add your embossed name and signature to it. :)

We like the THIXO and many other TotalBoat products sold by Jamestown Distributors. If anyone has a TotalBoat account we have an Ambassador 5% discount code, plus as always for TB, free shipping.

totalboat.com/smallboats

Have you decided on a bright finish or paint yet?

We like the THIXO and many other TotalBoat products sold by Jamestown Distributors. If anyone has a TotalBoat account we have an Ambassador 5% discount code, plus as always for TB, free shipping.

totalboat.com/smallboats

Have you decided on a bright finish or paint yet?
Oh my goodness. With all the new African mahogany marine plywood? Bright 100%. Planning to use TotalBoat. Can I just use the same product that I paint her innards with? 105 epoxy and 207 hardener? Or do you recommend something different?

Same product. There is no need to varnish if the boat is to be dry stored out of the UV.

Be very careful when you sand. If you go through a layer of veneer, which is very easy to do, the idea of a bright finish vanished rapidly.

ZIP started off complete red, we sanded the entire boat but found a patch on the bottom.

Audrey Zip day 11 trailer sailor.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

So we left the bottom red and did the Special Clear on the planks and deck.

IMG_1139.jpg

I don't know if your Sailfish had a rub rail. Some did. It looks good and it protects the deck edge seam. Zip got a red accent on the rub rail and coaming backer strip.

Our Sailfish 14 Deluxe had a rub strip, toe rail, fancy bow handle, keel strip and a "Dri-Dek" coaming. As it turns out, the toe rail and rub strip make a nice spot to rest a heel or grab onto, and the coaming did help keep water from washing down the entire deck.

IMG_5308.jpeg

IMG_5312.jpeg

IMG_5325.jpeg

Back