Best de-powering method for racing

G211639

Hi. I was recently at a regional and it was very windy. What would be the best way to de-power? a Jens, double halyard, gust adjust, or some combination of them or a different sort of rig? thanks for all the insight

Were you at Toms River? If you are George from NY, congrats on winning the first race! I was there too, and everyone at the top of the fleet who used a Jens appeared to be using the Gust Adjust version. I was using a two halyard setup but on Monday bought line for the Gust Adjust. It is simpler to get the GA set up and hoisted properly. I used to use it but switched to two halyard setup about 8 years back. One version of it is hard to set up and inflexible in adjusting the size of the Jens. The other results in three long lines coming to the deck and results in a mess on the deck!

Nah. I wish I had that finish in the first race... I am Griffin Sisk had one race close to first though... I had some trouble with a double halyard ( because I rigged it wrong) so I spoke to the Rochester people that beat me about the gust adjust. Just looking for some more opinions. All welcome and thanks for the insight Chris!

Hey griffin, as an accomplished sailor like you are, one halyard- gust adjust is probably best. Keep it simple. Also if going upwind I. A blow. Don’t hesitate to ease the sheet to a close reach and go faster than everyone else who want ma to point high. Once you get the speed then go for height. Plus. As you get older you will get stronger and fatter ;). Which helps in a blow. But better to be stronger. ;).

Reactions: tag
The one thing I like about the two halyard is controlling how much bend in the upper soar.
You can still use a 2nd halyard with the Gust Adjust. But with the GA you only use two lines, the GA line and the halyard. With the true two halyard system you have two halyards plus a Jens line.

Hey griffin, as an accomplished sailor like you are, one halyard- gust adjust is probably best. Keep it simple. Also if going upwind I. A blow. Don’t hesitate to ease the sheet to a close reach and go faster than everyone else who want ma to point high. Once you get the speed then go for height. Plus. As you get older you will get stronger and fatter ;). Which helps in a blow. But better to be stronger. ;).
Thanks. A yeah I've been working on my fitness a lot and Its crazy to have a low mode in heavy wind. Its a game changer. And I 100% agree about all the pinching into oblivion, it does not work in a sunfish even in a breeze.

I also sailed the 2 halyard variation today and I just like having both halyards because in the light stuff I still like sailing the regular full rig style.

Hey, no racing tips allowed here, this board is only supposed to be used for rusty trailer repair and bow handle backer block tips! :)

BUD Trailer before.JPG

Great info to learn for those of us who race informally or just want better performance from our sails. Would appreciate seeing some photos of the rigging adjustments mentioned.

Back