Best angle to sail downwind

The Sailingworld article suggested by beldar is good and provides the three most important aspects of downwind sailing: sailing the favored tack, clear air and better wind. These are primary, to be sure, but secondary issues include wind velocity, wave angle (often offset from direction) and tactical concerns. Based on long-standing sailing experience on Wilson Lake in northwestern Alabama, where wind is often very light and flukey, I've found that the straight-line run often works out the best particularly if you have a light enough & long enough main sheet (enabling you to sail by-the lee), a way to keep the sail held out - often by a "Jesus" shock-cord and using your body weight to heel to weather to get more of the sail higher off the water. 'tain't easy but that's what makes sailing so much fun!

Thanks guys. My lake is real fluky too. We usually run straight down from mark to mark as well. A lot of Jibe in those sailing books. Need to be careful with the JC or else one misses the 150 degree sudden wind clocks while running. Those damn thermals!

Sailing dead downwind is slow - you will want to be just slightly above dead downwind to get some flow over the sail so it is not just acting like a parachute. BB

Note how the sails are held in this "Sailing Points" graphic:

quad.gif

If I read BB correctly, a lateen sail will benefit from "Sailing by the Lee". My Dad told me years ago that there was no harm in it.

I've found "Sailing by the Lee" is handy to "sneak" closer to shore to ogle...um...things. ;)

(And not look like I'm purposefully doing it).

:)

Back