bent wooden dagger board

Prindle2

I bought a sunfish at the end of last summer that has a bent wooden dagger board. Basically, the board is over its length about 1” to 2” It looks like someone might have gone Heman when righting it because it seems to start to bend where the board exits the hull. It seems structurally strong, but I am worried about performance. I am not a racer so it does not have to be perfect.

What are your guy’s feelings on whether I will have to replace the Daggerboard?

I basically got ripped of on the fish. I will post more. I should have read the book on sunfish BEFORE the boat. I was reading the book going DOH, DOH. I learned a lesson.

Matt

I may try to steam it as a last resort. Does anyone know whether that would work?

Is it bent to the point if does'nt go up and down? If not and your not racing no problem. If it is there's a guy on ebay selling blades cheap (not class legal). How ever if you try to steam it let me know how it goes. And don't burn your self. Steam will get you.

It goes up and down. I exaggerated, on a flat surface at its most bowed point it is .25” off the surface. I just had no clue how severe that would be for a centerboard boat. It is defiently bent.

Matt

I wouldn't expect steam to fix it, but try it if you like. Using ammonia gass. wood can be bent/twisted like a wet noodle!

Back