Bent Spar

Banoe

Hi,
I just picked up a all most basket case sunfish with a bent top spar. Is there some good way to straighten the spar with out damaging it?
Also where would the hull number be located?
Thanks

Hi,
I just picked up a all most basket case sunfish with a bent top spar. Is there some good way to straighten the spar with out damaging it?
Also where would the hull number be located?
Thanks
How bent is bent? Can you post a picture?

If the boat was built after Nov. 1972 the Hull ID will be stamped into the transom at the upper right. Prior to that it's most commonly found on a metal tag attached to the deck in the "V" of the splash deflector.

4772945647_4d6987acf2_m.jpg

borrowed from another question,
the arrow is pointing to a vent hole.
Serial number is along the lower boarder.

Don't have a picture but if you stretched a string from end to end there would be be about 2" gap in the middle. Bend is a fairly consistent curve along the length of the spar. I would think it is just the product of a lot of use over the years.

I will check the hull number is there some where you can cross reference the hull number with production dates to determine the age of the boat.

Try your local Metal Fabrication Shop...

TEK Steel was very kind to straighten both the upper & lower gaffs for me, using industrial pipe bending kit. Beats the heck out of using a local tree trunk or flipping the gaffs & hoping wind in the sail will bring 'em back in line. :D

Is there some where you can cross reference the hull number with production dates to determine the age of the boat.
  • Sunfish KB & FAQ (at the top of this page)
    • Model Year & Manufactrer
      • Open This File (After the Hull ID format explaination, at the very bottom of the page)

Back