beginner sailboat question

chris27

Hi, I've been reading some about sailing and was wondering is the Laser or the laser 2 a good beginner boat? Is it a boat that I won't grow out of real quickly? I have found a couple of Force 5's on ebay and that look to be alot like the lasers can you all give me any input on them? I have recently signed up for sailing lessons and just wanted to do some research and see what is the best boat to buy for later any advice would be awsome. Thanks Chris

You wouldn't want to sail a laser 2 on your own at first so I recommend that you only consider a laser 2 if you intend to sail with someone else.

They should be ok for someone who is beginning, as long as you are prepared to get wet. Once you learn how to sail it properly you will have a fast, competative boat that will last you for years.

It's personal choice - I think it mostly depends on whether you want to sail alone or with someone else.

Also, you should consider what classes of boat are most predominant in your area - sailing with the same class is always good as the others can then help you to improve and get the most out of your boat.

chris27 said:
Hi, I've been reading some about sailing and was wondering is the Laser or the laser 2 a good beginner boat? Is it a boat that I won't grow out of real quickly? I have found a couple of Force 5's on ebay and that look to be alot like the lasers can you all give me any input on them? I have recently signed up for sailing lessons and just wanted to do some research and see what is the best boat to buy for later any advice would be awsome. Thanks Chris

There are easier boats to sail than Lasers and Force 5's may be one of them--I don't know. Force 5s have a nice line management system. You're not going to grow out of a Laser, either size-wise or skillwise. Lasers take some athleticism. One big advantage of Lasers is there are so many of them so you will always find someone to sail with and be able to find regattas for them at all levels. The same is true for Sunfish, and if you are under 15, Optis. Both Sunfish and Optis are easier to sail than Lasers, but you lose a lot in fun factor. The Laser 2 is for 2 to 3 people to sail and it is not a beginner's boat at all.

One way to choose a boat is to find out what fleets are near you at various yacht clubs. I'd choose a boat based partially on whether there's anyone else around sailing it. That way you've got some competition if you decide to race (racing increases your sailiing skills).

In sum, the Laser is a great boat! Remember, you are asking advice on The Laser Forum.

I think you have seen a common theme in the replies to your question thus far, but I feel compled to offer up my advice.

I've been sailing a Laser now for near 16 years, I got my first boat when I was around 10, with a radial rig it was fine. I still have that same boat, still stiff and dry, ready to race, but with a standard rig.

The laser isn't the easiest boat to learn to sail on, but it may be the most rewarding. The design is a demanding one once you've mastered the basic sailing concepts, and you'll soon realize that your a better sailor compared to those who started sailing in an Optimist or some other common design. Plus, you'll have the personal satisfaction that you are amoung the elite of the sailing world, a LASER SAILOR!

Ok thats enought out of me, I say get a laser, and get wet....

Radial 171107 said:
Lasers arn't boats you really grow out of cause there are 3 rigs. It depends on your weight and experience to which rig you use. http://www.laserinternational.org/formula.htm Should give you help on which rig suits you.

Sorry for butting in, but by "laser 2", we're talking about the Radial rig, right? Or is it some larger hull... I'm in the same place as the OP, and I had that pegged as the boat for me. I'll be flying solo 99% of the time though, so now you guys have got me wondering.

Thanks for this thread! I spent all last summer plowing in a 500lb, waterlogged, rotting Sunfish, and loved every last minute of it. The sun overhead, the cool, clean water below, and a fistful of natures most brutish force in between. Completely awesome. In 20 years, I haven't been this excited to go out and do something new.
I'm going to need a lighter, faster boat...

Pete

Thanks for all the replys. I am 27 years old and weigh about 205 I know I need to loose some weight. I was concerned maybe I was to big for the Lasers but I guess not. The yacht club that I will be getting my lessons from I think they have Laser boats but I was told I would be going out on some 18ft boat with I guess 3 other people to learn to sail. Most of the time I will be sailing by myself so it would be nice if it would fit maybe one more person but if not it's cool. I almost forgot how do these boats handle in kinda ruff water. like can they handle waves that are like 2-3ft high? The lake I would be sailing in always seems to have big waves I guess it is because it is'nt super deep.
Are these boats easy for one person to set up like raiseing the mast? How long is it to set up a boat from start to finish?

I'm a newb and it takes me about 20 mins to get rigged. I dont think I'm alone in saying that it's a little tricky to step the mast in heavy conditions. In normal conditions it's a piece of cake.

Waves are no problem once you learn how to control the boat in them. I have sailed in 5-6 foot waves in my laser.

Originally posted by flyingsuperpetis
Sorry for butting in, but by "laser 2", we're talking about the Radial rig, right? Or is it some larger hull... I'm in the same place as the OP, and I had that pegged as the boat for me. I'll be flying solo 99% of the time though, so now you guys have got me wondering.

A laser 2 is not a radial rigged laser. A laser two is a completely different boat. It has a bigger hull as well as a jib, spinnaker and trapeze. As I said before, you wouldn't want to sail it on your own till you know what you are doing. Go here -->http://www.laser2sailing.org/ for more information.

Sounds like your best bet would be a regular laser or some other single-hander if you plan to sail alone.

Ah ha! I see. Thanks for clarifying, laser2. I feel better about the radial again. I'm still kicking around just making one (cedarstrip on a 6-4ti lugged, carbon tubed frame) myself, but I have a ton of learning about the actual boats themselves, & I suspect I'll get impatient & buy one in the mean time. :) Thx again,
Pete

If you weigh 75-80 kgs or more i wouldn't be getting a laser radial even if you dont have experience. Quite simply because once you sail for a half season or so you will have enough experience to saila radial comfortably and your not getting smaller- get a standard rig. If your not interested in sailing lasers, there are many other singlehanded dinghys such as: Ok dinghys, contenders, Musto skiffs, several RS series boats, finns (for heavyweight and well skilled) and Europes to name a few. If you would like to sail with a crew, go ahead and try out a Laser 2.

Back