been throwing this together.....its a 74....

joe c

banned
Ordered up the line kit and have it. got a collapsible paddle from west marine. it fits perfect in the aft storage. just gotta figure out how im going to secure it. made new rudder from south american pattern mahog. collapsible battlestick installed. carved up a new tiller from some red oak i had kicking around. i didnt like the way the battlestick mounted on the original. i ended up countersinking nyloks into the bottom of the area i mounted it to. the photos show the original longer #10 screws but theres a bit of wear to the gudgeons so it actually moves enough to drag on the deck. took some work to get the scratches out from the worn bolt holes in the original rudder. it caused the tiller to sit on the deck. so those bolts are concealed inside the tiller now with nyloks on them. so see how all that works. new bow handle. crazy. amazon for like 15 bucks. perko. aerosouth mainsheet clips are here. ordered the mast float from aerosouth too and thats on its way. im going to try and drill and tap the mast for a halyard cleat. i dont like the idea of rivets in there. and screws..nah. have a new bridle on the way in too. im kind of letting everything be whatever color it wants. so its a huge mish mosh of random colors. the sail is the multi coloroed blue red orange yellow flourescent yellow one. the blue pads were on it when i got it. so kinda running with the mismatched color mess. gooseneck quick release is done too. made new stops for the dagger. ordered a new spring for it and got that all varnished up too.

im looking forward to having a ton of fun this summer on it and hopefully getting some more people hooked. its been a slow assembly. been rigging the spinnaker on the laser. thats just all kinds of blocks and cleats and random stuff and taking a bit of time. and also getting the stuff done on the trailers. lights for inspection.....

couple pics. one day ill make it to the back corner of the shop to clean. lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_112004_01.jpg
    IMG_20220220_112004_01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20220220_112004_02.jpg
    IMG_20220220_112004_02.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
Looks good, Joe, except for those blue pads. Are they glued to the deck?
Unfortunately they are! Previous owner stuck those on. I could probably remove them without damaging the gelcoat, but I just don't care enough. They're ugly, but that's kinda what im.going for.

Honestly I have always thought the color of that fish is somewhat dated. But in the 70's those odd greens and oranges were in colors.

Those pads really clash with the orange, but somehow work in this case.

In anycase, it will likely be fun on the water.

The boat is red..it was a brighter red when new and is more on a crimson scale. And just because I went to school for design and have a fairly low level art backround, orange and blue are opposite each other on the color wheel. That actually makes them complimentary colors.:)

Those orange and yellow Sunfish are classics. They also made an orange hull with yellow deck and a white hull, yellow deck and orange stripes. The original sails were orange and yellow stripes. That color combo was big back then - AMF featured it in their learn to sail brochure learn_2_sail_in_3_days.pdf (sunfishclass.org)
Yeah....mine is the opposite scheme..but that's a great piece of literature!

Witch paddle did you get from West? I like the fact that "it fits perfect in the aft storage ".

It's the o e that collapses down I to 3sections..21 inches compressed. I think im.going to secure it with shock cord up high on the bottom side of the ceiling in there.. or industrial velcro it. I've read these sink, so prolly want to test that out. The blade is less than 7" wide. So if you have an 8" inspection port you could get it inside the hull..epoxy down 2 blocks and shock cord it with a couple of toggles to keep it tight in there.
20220221_171825.jpg
20220221_171839.jpg
20220221_171758.jpg

some progress pics.

installed 5" port up front. ill order up another bottle port for that too! need a place to set my cold snack when i get to the island after all. man reaching all of the way around the dagger trunk was a pain! i blocked it in with a piece of white oak i epoxy coated and epoxied in, i really liked the footman loop idea i found here and went with that up front. through bolted. i doubled up the eye strap in the aft end so i can use a bungee on stuff inside. it just works out perfectly for the paddle. and with a little pressure pulling it aft it actually stays put pretty well. i think im going to order that rooster strap adjuster. i think it'll fit in there. so that bungee you see is temporary for mockup.

heres a pro tip when working with glass. if youre tired of itchy arms, baby powder. baby powder your arms are whatever before sawing cutting into it. the powder fills your pores and keeps the glass out. it works. thank me later.

hoping to get it back outside and rigged on thursday. new halyard mainsheet inhauls outhaul blah blah...friday itll be in the 70s and sunny with light from the south at 5-10. water is still 45 degrees so get to test out the new suit too i hope! im thinking i should have a new mast on order. all these broken masts im seeing....

messages_0 (69).jpeg
messages_0 (68).jpeg
messages_0 (67).jpeg

She's looking good! When we do work through a new deck plate hole we wear long sleeve shirts, and/or tape the raw edge of the hole.

PS Your open fairlead/sheet hook is upside down. Any alternate use/reason for that?

She's looking good! When we do work through a new deck plate hole we wear long sleeve shirts, and/or tape the raw edge of the hole.

PS Your open fairlead/sheet hook is upside down. Any alternate use/reason for that?
I flipped it over for the hiking strap shock cord..I figured it's not being used for anything and I don't like the cord around the block. Don't know if when it's slacked it'll fall off but figured why not.

It's kinda done..one or two little things. I need a dry bag for my phone etc. Tried to get out yesterday but blowing upwards of 10 and want a bit more mellow day for first run. Rigged everything in the parking lot this morning. I need to start looking for this same sail. I think I'm going to paint some new trailer wheels In a benham disk pattern. :). Thanks for all the help.
20220319_114315.jpg

Nice job.. Those orange and yellow boats are nice. I have orange hull and yellow deck with the orginal sail. The person who put those blue pads on didn't know that you should sit as close to the front of the cockpit.

Nice job.. Those orange and yellow boats are nice. I have orange hull and yellow deck with the orginal sail. The person who put those blue pads on didn't know that you should sit as close to the front of the cockpit.
Yeah....that's very weird isn't it.

Looks great! I’ve never seen that sail color combo, why do you need to replace it? Yours looks sharp and I think it would be hard to find.

Looks great! I’ve never seen that sail color combo, why do you need to replace it? Yours looks sharp and I think it would be hard to find.
Thx!
It's got a few pinholes and one of the boom grommets has a tear next to it. But yeah, I really like it. Its still pretty crisp though. I should check it again for a manufacturing label.

If you are interested, I have three different "Sunrise" sails available. I have sunrise, modified sunrise and tequila sunrise. The sails are $185 each, come with window, stainless steel grommets, material for logo (both sides), sail/rope bag. Shipping is extra.

Sunrise is blue, red, orange, gold, yellow, and white

Modified sunrise is white, yellow, red, orange, yellow and white

Tequila sunrise is blue, red, orange, yellow, lt blue, white

Attachments

• Sunrise-1.JPG
    Sunrise-1.JPG
    935.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Modified Sunrise.jpg
    Modified Sunrise.jpg
    938.8 KB · Views: 73
sailcraftri, can you ID the name of the sail joe c has shown?
It’s one of the mutations of the Sunrise sail that has been made over the years. Based on the red edges it’s probably a class legal sail. Someone installed the window is a rather bizarre location - it’s too far back.

Here is an original Sunrise as it looked in the 80s when all the sails had 5 panels.

Attachments

• 27DCD549-C344-4C01-B2F4-95FE0C12769F.jpeg
    27DCD549-C344-4C01-B2F4-95FE0C12769F.jpeg
    858 KB · Views: 62
finally had a bit to get the fish out today. not bad. but wow what a difference from the laser2. very "firm" tiller. i might make another tiller for it and see if that helps. maybe longer. dunno. i do have a hull leak, right on the seam on the bottom. when i hauled out i checked the port and there as water. so i let it sit on the trailer in the lot while i changed out of my suit and found the area it was dripping from. i had a clip for the tiller extension on the tiller, that lasted about 2 seconds before the mainsheet snagged it and broke it. i might replace it and see if i have better luck the second time but i think its just going to have to get bungied. i have what i think is the original block for the mainsheet. its a fairlead with a roller type cleat and a wire fairlead on the exit. its way too prone to false cleats though. so guess ill be switching to a ratchet block. i might try to remove the wire fairlead first though. i do want to be able to cleat it for long runs across the cove. so have to figure out what people are doing. i guess sitting on it is an option. i replaced the spring on the dagger but it still hums pretty good. maybe some carpet will help that. other wise 2 hours of just running back and forth across the river this afternoon and it seems like a lot of fun. did a bunch of tacking. some gybes. reaching, some upwind some down wind. it pretty much would do whatever i wanted it to. i flipped it off the end the of the dock in waste deep water to see if the mast float worked and yep. floated very nicely on its side. so thats cool. its very easy to launch. very easy to bring back. the laser2 is quite the handful in comparison.

i had a chance to see the starboard side of the sail and yes, there is a sail maker label. ak sails. theres a url but im guessing they are out of business. no web presence. what i also discovered is if you look up sunfish on wikipedia, the photo of the boat on the wiki page has the ak sail im pretty sure!

good fun. ill have it back out soon. lots of wind here the last week or so and more on the way with rain. we're usually into the 70s in baltimore around this time of year but today was 55. water temp 48. wind at 5 gusts to 9.

forgot to test my paddle floatability! next time. i have more stuff still coming. the cleat for the hiking strap. a bottle port. still a few little things to get. im up in the air about the dolly. it moves really easily on the trailer. but might be good for when i go other places like the beach and out to assateaque.

20220404_163902.jpg

Float Test and Sea Trials complete! Huzzah! Did you name her yet?

The deck pads might have been placed there by a previous Skipper that took other folks out, it is a good spot to sit with the other crew sitting forward of the cockpit. When Skipper is out by herself, she sits there a lot and she even requested a longer tiller that extends just over the aft cockpit edge, so he can hook it with the back of her knee and tend to other bits of the boat. She rarely sails a boat with a tiller extension, she is small and light weight, so she can get away with that. I'll sit aft on long runs, just goofing off.

We rarely see that type of swivel block, and think you would like the ratchet block. You might find that a daggerboard bungee that runs further forward to the bow handle will give you an easier angle to get the board in and out of the trunk. The daggerboard hum is the sound of a happy boat. Not optimum for speed, but happy.

FWIW the sail on the wikipedia page is a North Sail, Class Legal recreational.

Thanks for posting all of the info and the photos!

very nice! It snowed here in Michigan yesterday....

my preferred setup for a ratchet block is this (shown on a Minifish - on your Sunfish, the cam cleat can be installed on the cockpit lip):
mainsheet-cleat-parts-list.png

Never seen a block under a swivel cleat. A rachet deck mount is better. Much longer bungee needed. 74's have the shadow board which is small and side slips on every tack, get a foil board

Thank you.

Yes on rerouting the shock cord for the dagger..good call.

I actually don't name anything. Cars, motorcycles or boats..I had to look up who discovered the piltdown man yesterday afterwards because my only thought was "lil pilt" since it's kinda leaky. But the leakys didn't discover piltdown. I work on people's boats a bunch and there's the usual "knot" pun..I though "knot smart" would be funny.. but I'll probably pass on it all. :)

Yeah, I'll get a ratchet block ordered up today or scoot up to west and grab one. I. Might just try the nautos one. I have a harken on the laser. I have a massive 63mm kicking around here but it just looks ridiculous.

And yes about the sail. One of the panels in the one on wiki is wider..

I enjoy seeing people put stuff together. Photos are always helpful for what to do and not to do. I'll put more photos up over the summer when we make it to camp on the island and the usual sillines..still need dry bags, a gopro, etc. Hope to convince someone else to get one..more is always better.

Back