Bed extender

norcalsail

For my second trip to Lake Sonoma last Sunday, I had a new bed extender. It worked very well and I was happy with the quality. My goal was to be able to load and unload the boat on my own so I could take it to the lake by myself. Loading was no problem and I used 2" pink foam insulation for support. I cut this to leave a place for the chine. My wife dropped me off at the lake, I unloaded and sailed for four or five hours. Nice day, the sky was a bit more clear than the previous weekend. My sailing skills were also improved taking Charles Howard's advice and sitting more forward in the boat as well as getting a better feel for tacking and reading the wind. The problem came, as Mixmkr noted, when I tried to use the same wheeled kayak dolly to get back uphill to the truck. A short distance that I could have done if I had to but fortunately, my wife brought my daughter and son in law to pick me up. I think I'm going to build a PVC dolly as per Tag's plans-thank you for that!

Attachments

• 20180825_192121.jpg
    20180825_192121.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 102
  • 20180825_192139.jpg
    20180825_192139.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 116
  • 20180826_174759_1535348195660.jpg
    20180826_174759_1535348195660.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
  • 20180826_163648.jpg
    20180826_163648.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75
Alright, the extender worked... looks a heckuva lot safer than just having the boat jut out from the truck bed. And safety should always be your first concern, not only marine safety but safety in transport... no future in having your new boat slide out of the bed on the highway, hitting the pavement and possibly causing a fatality wreck. Good on ya for finding a better solution, have you tried any other launching sites yet? I'd say that rig is ready for a trip to the coast, LOL. Don't forget your red (or orange) safety flag, might avoid overzealous revenue collectors that way, aye??? :eek:

That looks like a good solution and a beautiful setting for sailing! That bridge is awesome!
Hi Tag, When I saw the photo, it made me realize how big that bridge is. In the photo, I am heading out to the main lake and would make a 90 degree left to sail the length of it. I'm sorta on a reach in this photo and to sail the lake I'm mostly running and have to tack back. Though the sailing itself is pretty good, this reservoir does not have many good places to land and the banks are very steep and muddy. I'm going to scout out a few other places. I really like those dolly plans-that's going to give me the independence to move this boat around!

Reactions: tag
Alright, the extender worked... looks a heckuva lot safer than just having the boat jut out from the truck bed. And safety should always be your first concern, not only marine safety but safety in transport... no future in having your new boat slide out of the bed on the highway, hitting the pavement and possibly causing a fatality wreck. Good on ya for finding a better solution, have you tried any other launching sites yet? I'd say that rig is ready for a trip to the coast, LOL. Don't forget your red (or orange) safety flag, might avoid overzealous revenue collectors that way, aye??? :eek:

Hey Ghost Rider, This bed extender is like an extension of my 2" hitch; really sturdy and great quality. As I was saying in my reply to Tag, I want to find a place to sail where I can land and take a break. There is a video I found here on the forum from 2015 I think, showing a sunfish and a laser sailing together on Tomales Bay that was pretty interesting and I may take it out there. Thought I'd stay out of salt water but it could be good experience and the place is not too far from here. Just a bit south of Bodega Bay...

I copy that, saltwater sailing is fine, just rinse everything afterward... a 5-gallon plastic jerry jug of water comes in handy for getting the worst off, you can always rinse the boat again at the house. Dolly would still be good to have, that way you don't have to schlep the boat if you can't find parking close to the water's edge. I'd say take it to the coast as long as the forecast is good... might wanna combine sailing with a camping trip, makes things a little easier and you only drive one way per day. On the Salton Expeditions, I'd bracket one long day of sailing with two nights of camping, made the whole experience better... just a tip for future reference, I'm thinking you can have some good trips to the coast, take family members or friends with ya as well, aye? That's what having fun is all about with your new boat... and don't forget the BBQ, LOL. CHEERS!!! :cool:

Great pics! I knew you’d figure out the best solution to avoid trailering! Can you share the name of the bed extender? Might have to check into getting one...

Hi Breeze Bender, The photo shows an Erickson Big Bed Senior Extender. I ordered it through Home Depot and they sent it to my house for $78.00. I was very comfortable hauling the boat with this. The quality is really good and solid. I also realized this morning that if I use tie downs with my kayak dolly, I can move the boat uphill more easily-I need a better one though.

Hi Breeze Bender, The photo shows an Erickson Big Bed Senior Extender. I ordered it through Home Depot and they sent it to my house for $78.00. I was very comfortable hauling the boat with this. The quality is really good and solid. I also realized this morning that if I use tie downs with my kayak dolly, I can move the boat uphill more easily-I need a better one though.
Excellent, thanks Norcalsail, I’m going to check that extender out. I have a Trailex SUT-300U dolly and love it. I bought it used on craigslist for $200. I walk my Sunfish down a dirt road to the boat launch and the lightweight Trailex makes it a breeze. It fits in my car, a Subaru Baja, without disassembling. I also have two Seitech dollies but don’t like them as well because the nose of the Sunfish doesn’t stay put when I hit a bump- I pad it with a noodle but it’s not ideal for my bumpy travel, but is great for around the yard as I work on boats and for storage. Tag’s dolly looks great and might be the best option for your situation. I might look into attempting to do that, too in the off season, as many boats require many dollies :)

Excellent, thanks Norcalsail, I’m going to check that extender out. I have a Trailex SUT-300U dolly and love it. I bought it used on craigslist for $200. I walk my Sunfish down a dirt road to the boat launch and the lightweight Trailex makes it a breeze. It fits in my car, a Subaru Baja, without disassembling. I also have two Seitech dollies but don’t like them as well because the nose of the Sunfish doesn’t stay put when I hit a bump- I pad it with a noodle but it’s not ideal for my bumpy travel, but is great for around the yard as I work on boats and for storage. Tag’s dolly looks great and might be the best option for your situation. I might look into attempting to do that, too in the off season, as many boats require many dollies :)

I have been keeping an eye out for used ones and plan to eventually get a manufactured dolly, especially when I get older. After the purchase of this Sunfish though, I better find cheaper options!

Subaru Baja, a limited production—and very cool car—if made about 2003-2006. :cool:

Please return to the subject... :oops:

Attachments

• df02e69340463872018f729c25563dd4[1].jpg
    df02e69340463872018f729c25563dd4[1].jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 85
Breeze Bender does your seitech have the correct nose piece for a sunfish?
Breeze Bender does your seitech have the correct nose piece for a sunfish?
I think they do- but will check them out when I’m home tomorrow. I have 3 Seitechs and all are the same. The bow fits if it’s just sitting, but doesnt stay in the handle bracket when moving. I know someone else recently posted about this issue, too.

Breeze Bender, I have seen people with a shock cord on the dolly front tube of the dolly and they just hook to the bow handle. Others have on line on the tube run though the bow handle and to a mini clam cleat on the tube. There is also an edge piece.

Attachments

• 1535626041327.png
    1535626041327.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 66
Breeze Bender, I have seen people with a shock cord on the dolly front tube of the dolly and they just hook to the bow handle. Others have on line on the tube run though the bow handle and to a mini clam cleat on the tube. There is also an edge piece.
Thanks, Charles Howard, that’s a good tip on the shock cord. The cap you show is for a Dynamic- looks about the same size but wonder if it is? Something better padded, like a neoprene sock that fits over at the sensitive bow area (especially on a newer or freshly painted boat) would be a great product. Here’s one of my Sunfish, currently sitting on a Seitech.

Attachments

• FC6FCF33-1F1D-4FE6-A63D-3DBD02E79980.jpeg
    FC6FCF33-1F1D-4FE6-A63D-3DBD02E79980.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 71

Back