Beautiful boat, what are your plans for it?

sail dinghy

Are we there yet?
For now, I'm keeping the old beauties. Yesterday, picked up a 1972 minifish and sunfish parts, so a new project begins.
boats.jpg

Nice collection. I'm now realizing that people DO collect small sailboats and I have a fear of the "addiction" with a small fleet myself. I always sail solo and I see many others here have more than 2 or 3 boats. Oh well....healthy sport? :)

Nice quiver of boats... when you have a family reunion or host a company picnic, you can hold a handicap race, LOL. Limit the betting so nobody loses his (or her) shirt, and fashion some sorta rig for the canoe (unless it already has one), that'll give the canoe a fighting chance, LOL. :rolleyes:

Yes, very sweet fleet! What do you use for seat padding on your Sailfish decks? Each boat is beautiful!
My friends and family who have sailed, paddle boarded, and kayaked the old sailfish all complained about sliding off. Tried the light grey SUP pad from CLC boats, but still got complaints from aggressive sailors. So added the kayak seat padding (which you can shape with grinding pads) from CLC. Now the boats are user friendly!

Nice quiver of boats... when you have a family reunion or host a company picnic, you can hold a handicap race, LOL. Limit the betting so nobody loses his (or her) shirt, and fashion some sorta rig for the canoe (unless it already has one), that'll give the canoe a fighting chance, LOL. :rolleyes:
No rig on the canoe, yet and add a little sail to the 7' aerodinghy, then let the races begin!

An electric trolling motor for the canoe might even the odds... that or hand the paddle to the burliest dude in the group, LOL. :eek:

Great lineup, minimal maintenance, no carburetors or props to replace, oil to change, spark plugs etc...

We own one small runabout and have more money in it than the other 13 boats in the collection, which are wind, oar and paddle powered.

And like mixmkr said, it's a healthy, fun sport, messing about in boats. Here is a bit about sailing that I found in a 1979 AMF publication, I changed it a bit and I think it applies to all small boating.

Sailing is solitude and peace. Quiet and motorless, it is the sound of waves and wind broken occasionally by an osprey's chirp.
Sailing is pride in the accomplishment of simple tasks, satisfaction from feeling one with your boat, leaping over waves, keelhauling the First Mate or flowing with the subtleties of a thunderstorm downdraft.
Sailing appeals to all the senses; warm sand between the toes, the caress of sun rays on the back, a teasing dash of cold spray, a hot deck, a cool breeze, deep lungfuls of clean air, an engaged body and mind which builds hearty appetire and thirst, pliant curves of sail and clouds, the feel of wood grain in a tiller's end, the soft touch of morning mist, primeval perfumes of sea grass and salt water, boat aromas of paint and varnish, sunspark on the waves, a mirrored image on flat water, the trickle of droplets from a heeled deck. It is a world of magical textures and colors, a world where one's sensitivity is magnified.
There's something about the view from a small sailboat which puts life in a happier, more sensible perspective. (Adapted from AMF Alcort's The Fun of Sailing, 1979)

Cheers
Kent, Skipper and the Fleet
ONKAHYE 1980 Drascombe Lugger
WAVE 1965 Alcort Sunfish
PHOENIX 1982 AMF Sunfish
MADISON 1982 AMF Sunfish
CYANE 1971 O'Day Daysailer
SCOUT Grumman 17 canoe
LEWIS 2011 Pelican 10 kayak
PINKY 2012 KM SUP
CLARK 2013 Pelican 10 kayak
ZIP 1953 wooden Alcort Sunfish
WILLOW 1959 Sorg 15 Runabout
WINNIE 1955 Alcort Sailfish
ST JACQUES 2017 Penobscot 14
VICTORY 1979 Drascombe Dabber * sale pending
SMEDLEY 1969 Alcort Catfish

Skipper with her boat boat that started it all, 1980 Drascombe Lugger.

IMG_0091.JPG

We made a Marine Traffic Control board to keep track of them, the boat(s) at the bottom have been idle the longest, once they go out they go to the top of the stack. Uh oh, cat's out of the bag, there are some foster boats ZSA ZSA (Super Sailfish) and CHIP (wooden Sunfish), we don't count them in the total... :)

IMG_4901.jpg

Attachments

• marine traffic control slide board.jpg
    marine traffic control slide board.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Wait, I like my hypothermia, creaking joints & stingray jabs, LOL. And if that gal next to the Drascombe Lugger is truly the Skipper, wouldn't that make YOU the First Mate being keelhauled??? :confused:

Last edited:
Wait, I like my hypothermia, creaking joints & stingray jabs, LOL. And if that gal next to the Drascombe Lugger is truly the Skipper, wouldn't that make YOU the First Mate being keelhauled??? :confused:

Yes sir, she is the Skipper. When I am fortunate I get keelhauled port to starboard, otherwise it is bow to stern.

k

I usually jump overboard before she can get the line ready...here I am in about 3 feet of water, she is out looking for the oyster bed to drag me over...

IMG_3136.jpg

Back