battens falling out

Hey,
I was just racing this weekend and on the first day my batten came out:( so i got another one which ended up almost falling out on the second day. I have one of the older sails that the batten goes strait in... not the ones where you put the batten in from above. I was just wondering if anyone has had this same problem and maybe has found a solution... I can't afford to keep loosing battens. A while ago i tried tapping it which didn't work too well: the tape just came off. I know I could get the battens sewed in but i really don't want to because it will be a hastle to fold.

I have the same problem with my old sail.
I know that there are 2 types of pocket.
Mine is with a y pocket and i found this solution.
I solved it sewing a little bit more the pocket.

Before...
\------------------------------------------------------------
-
|
-----------------------------------------------------------------

after

----
|

Byebye.

I didn't know there were sails where the batten goes straight in. I thought they all had the little angle where you put them in, and then push the back end down and into the pocket.

Anyway, those new battens might help you, with the hooked forward end. I think they're supposed to stay in better.

You can just buy a pack of Laser batten tips from somewhere and switch them out on your battens.

Different tape will work.

Nashua style 357 duct tape, Gorilla brand duct tape, dacron insignia tape (aka sailmaker's dacron repair tape) will work when the sail is clean, dry and salt free.

(If you have a spare sail number kicking around, those are made from dacron insignia tape, and can be cut up and used)

I have the same problem with my old sail.
I know that there are 2 types of pocket.
Mine is with a y pocket and i found this solution.
I solved it sewing a little bit more the pocket.

Before...
-
|

after

----
|

Byebye.

I'm not sure if i know what you mean...

suzukirf600 is trying to show in a diagram how to add a little extra stitching towards the luff of the sail that helps keep the batten from popping out on the wing style batten pocket.

It's a good tip, but doesn't apply to the type of pocket you are having trouble with

If you store the sail rolled my advice would be to stitch the battens in permanently, also if the elastic is tired stitch the battens in at both ends.

Different tape will work.

Nashua style 357 duct tape, Gorilla brand duct tape, dacron insignia tape (aka sailmaker's dacron repair tape) will work when the sail is clean, dry and salt free.

(If you have a spare sail number kicking around, those are made from dacron insignia tape, and can be cut up and used)

x2 this is the best alternative to physically repairing the sail

Also, if you're racing you should really think about getting a new sail or at least newer sail, or intensity sail if permitted

Also, if you're racing you should really think about getting a new sail or at least newer sail, or intensity sail if permitted

This IS my racing sail... it's only been used around 6 times. I do need to get a new sail but at this point I can't afford it and an intensity sail is not permitted.

This IS my racing sail... it's only been used around 6 times. I do need to get a new sail but at this point I can't afford it and an intensity sail is not permitted.

I was only suggesting getting a new one if your sail was significantly warn or old, Can you take a pic of the batten pockets?

if you were to sew the battens in, you could always roll the sail up with the battens in, thats what I do and it saves you a few minutes next time you rig, and you won't ever forget your battens

Is it class legal to sew the battens in?
Is it best to have a tube to roll it if they are in? What size tube is best?

I have so many sails with batten tips stuck inside the elastic, or have lost them completely due to luffing at the dock.

help please....

I'm confused. Is this a really old sail that has only been used a few times or is this a new sail? If it's new I don't understand how/why the batten pockets are different from every other class sail I've owned since 1988.

There may be a solution with the battens rather than the sail.
Is the elastic near full stretch when you slot them in place? If not the batten can shake out. Measure batten length. Class rules - 640 max [450 max top batten]. To increase length pull caps until right length [hopefully not more than half way off!], mark with pen then remove and use epoxy or superglue to reattach to marked position.

It is possible to 'miss' the elastic. Make sure the inner end catches the full width of the elastic.

Hey,
I was just racing this weekend and on the first day my batten came out:( so i got another one which ended up almost falling out on the second day. I have one of the older sails that the batten goes strait in... not the ones where you put the batten in from above. I was just wondering if anyone has had this same problem and maybe has found a solution... I can't afford to keep loosing battens. A while ago i tried tapping it which didn't work too well: the tape just came off. I know I could get the battens sewed in but i really don't want to because it will be a hastle to fold.
I had one of those sails with the straight pocket too (radial). I've had batten falling out problems with 3 of the 8 sails I've gone through (all brands). Sewed the sleeves so installing and removing battens was tight, that worked. But taping from each side around the leech a few inches, covering over the batten insert slot with good quality duct tape (any color) has never let me down. I've also used sail repair tape successfully.

I'm confused. Is this a really old sail that has only been used a few times or is this a new sail? If it's new I don't understand how/why the batten pockets are different from every other class sail I've owned since 1988.

I think the manufactures made this type of sail around 2005 but then because it was so bad they switched back and i just ended up being stuck with crappy batten pockets:(

There may be a solution with the battens rather than the sail.
Is the elastic near full stretch when you slot them in place? If not the batten can shake out. Measure batten length. Class rules - 640 max [450 max top batten]. To increase length pull caps until right length [hopefully not more than half way off!], mark with pen then remove and use epoxy or superglue to reattach to marked position.

It is possible to 'miss' the elastic. Make sure the inner end catches the full width of the elastic.

will try that next time i go down to the yacht club

Back