Batten pocket damaged

Bond

Hi all,

As I was removing my mainsail after a heavy wind day I found out that one of the battens is going out from the wrong side of the pocket. what is the best way for a permanent repair to this tiny but important damage. I live in Egypt so access to a sail maker is probably not an easy option. Any help?

Ahmed

Hi all,

As I was removing my mainsail after a heavy wind day I found out that one of the battens is going out from the wrong side of the pocket. what is the best way for a permanent repair to this tiny but important damage. I live in Egypt so access to a sail maker is probably not an easy option. Any help?

Ahmed
When i bought my boat, it had a small hole in the forward end of the center batten pocket. I used a circle shaped needle and dacron thread to close the hole. I then covered the repair with sail repair tape.This has held well and the thread makes all the difrence. I also patched a small tear where the slot folded the sail over and tore it. The p.o. was not watching while hoisting the main sale. Charley

Thank you Charley. What is Dacron thread - how different is it from normal thread? What's the material made of?

Thank you Charley. What is Dacron thread - how different is it from normal thread? What's the material made of?
Dacron is the material that our sails are made of. It is a synthetic material and lasts longer than cotton. The U.V. radiation from the sun will destroy this material if left exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period. Most thread is cotton or a blend of materials like rayon, nylon etc. The repair can be done with any type of thread due to limited exposure to the sun. Not a big deal really. I have read of sailors using fishing line for emergency repairs at sea. When all else fails, ask a woman!!! Charley

Back