bailer removal

Cavi

Is the self bailer only held in place by one screw from the bottom? Mine is in sorry shape and I want to replace the whole unit

Do you guys have trouble keeping them bonded in with silicone. I've tried other goops but nothing sticks to the bailer besides silicone. We often beach our boats and they often come loose.

I had to replace mine after it was damaged while in winterstorage. It was as simple as removing the screw, taking the bailer out and placing the new one in there.

There is one problem, it's one size fits none. The bailer is intentionally made too long so it will fit into every laser after it is filed to the right length.

We didn't use any glue or adhesive to get it to stay in place but my laser is never beached.

Sikaflex.
Should be used on every screwed in fitting but folk scrimp out and use silicone.
Silicone is really only useful around showers and sinks

Voodoo,

I hate silicone as much as the next guy. However, it sticks really well to plastics and obviously glass/mirror. I've tried Sikaflex and it will not stick to the bailer. It peels right off.

what works for me:
Sikaflex, lifecaulk, 3M 4200 etc for the screw

Whatever sticks for you on the perimeter of the bailer to the hull. I have had success with 3M 4200 which also makes for a good sealant, more tenacious then silicone

Is it that you want to fair the gap around the black scoop ?

Once you have done filing to fit perfectly, scuff it about 15 mm further in, clean it so there's no dust and give the gelcoat of the hull ( about a 15 mm band - 3 mm below the turn of the hull ) a scuffing - 80 grit/120 grit.
It should hold.
Key to minimising beach sand ingress is taking it easy with the shaping and getting as perfect and fair a fit as poss.

I've encountered the odd one that despite most efforts wanted to retain its shape and jutt outwards, however a quick dose of manipulation with the heat gun worked well.

Thanks moderator for the spelling adjustment on my first poast.

Whilst I understand the search for speed is a game of microns, theres plenty of other reasons why my boat is not travelling at optimim. Most of them centred around me.

Accordingly, i have never bothered sealing the bailer in on its surrounding edge. This makes servicing it super easy, with just the single self-tapper and a dollop of silicone in the appropriate location.

As an aside, anyone who hasnt yet picked up the steel springs replacement for the bailer, should do so post-haste. They work great.

Love you all

Martz

I just replaced mine with the Natos brand and was wondering why it appeared too long. I was going to sand it to fit. Based on the posts above I now know that sanding it to fit is the right thing to do. Thanks!

Back