Bailer on a Starfish

sblanck

Hello,

Anyone know what size bailer would work on a starfish hull?
Also going to install a hiking strap to it. I am guessing or hoping this clone is constructed similar on the inside as a sunfish. Anyone on here have a starfish they have added the items?

Thanks

When you say "what size bailer" are you referring to the "bailer cap length" (13/16" long on the "new" bailers, 1 5/16" long on the "old" bailers - e.g., see http://www.sunfishdirect.com/store/Bailer)? If not, then skip the rest of my post... If so, then the right one is a function of the distance between the cockpit floor and the bottom of the hull. Unless the Starfish is really unusual the larger one probably spans the distance - any excess can be cut off the threaded portion of the cap. However, to be certain you need to measure the cockpit-to-bottom distance. There are a number of ways to do this and the way I describe is likely not the best, but it works (I used it for a Seahorse - another clonefish). Make a larger caliper from scrap wood and perform the steps below. Refer to the attached crude sketch.
1) Position the caliper at the intended location of the bailer.
2) Measure distance 'A'.
3) Take the caliper off the hull.
4) Set the caliper so that 'A' is the distance measured previously in step 2.
5) Now measure 'B' - this is the cockpit-to-bottom distance.
caliper.jpg

Back