Bailer leak and more

Gustaf

Hi, new to the forum. I have bought an old (1980s?) Laser and the first trip didn't turn out very well which was kind of expected considering the price tag. Firstly, the fitting for the bailer plug came loose and water leaked into the boat. How do I fix this? Seems like a problematic construction?

Secondly, the fairlead as seen in the picture failed. Is this the original mounting do you think? Just screwed in the hull. I am unsure about how to fix this as there is no space to put a nut and washer beneath (in addition to the fairly long arms needed). Any advice?

Gustaf

IMG_20200808_165237.jpg
IMG_20200808_165215.jpg

Hejsan Gustaf :D

The bailer: what's on the other side? If you can't re-tighten that bushing, then get a new one from the dealer that services your area:
91284_Bushing_Assy_Cockpit_Laser_1080x1080-580x580.png

Mässingsbussning till självläns

The traveller fairlead: that one is the wrong make and model, and installed in the wrong place and oriented wrong. How is the other fairlead? I think it's faintly visible in the picture that that one is ok. If so, just copy it. Get this:
A.282.jpeg

The fairleads aren't attached with bolts, but machine screws; the inner goes through the deck, and the outer through the gunwale, for which you also need this:
91309_Cap_SelfTap_Laser_1080x1080-580x580.png

Plastmutter till linlöpare 2pack

Just curious, what's the sail/hull number? If it's wrong on the sail, you'll find it on a plaque on the aft wall of the cockpit, or under the bow fitting.

Med hälsningar från en annan del av Östersjön ;)

_

Hej hej, many many thanks, perfect! I haven't been able to find any number, rumour has it that it was built in the Nimbus factory on Gotland. Apparently by someone who didn't know how to do it, as many of the fittings seem to be in the wrong place (the opposite fairlead is also wrong, the rudder fittings doesn't fit the rudder etc). But the hull in itself seems well made.

Tack så mycket!

rumour has it that it was built in the Nimbus factory on Gotland.
What one would least expect... a Swedish fake Laser :confused:

Can you post more pictures? This sounds interesting... (It's not far from my home waters, so some may have made their way over here, too.)

_

What one would least expect... a Swedish fake Laser :confused:

Can you post more pictures? This sounds interesting... (It's not far from my home waters, so some may have made their way over here, too.)

_
Sooo, maybe this actually IS the number? I thought it was just a generic sticker.... if so the boat is much younger than I expected.
IMG_20200812_165134.jpg

Ok... that is fake. NOT a Laser. There are many small details (like the transom plug on the wrong side), but the "interior" shoot really gives it away: no bottom stringers, and the mast step :eek: ... (Let's just say that's the next thing that's going to break. Prepare for preventative fibreglass work.)

The sticker is, like you thought, just another Jollesport sticker. 179530 would have been a 2003 or 2004 boat. It's probably just a decoration, but I'd be curious to know if a real Laser dealer such as Jollesport had something to do with this boat. Ask them!

_

Haha then at least there is no need to be kosher with repair work. Lets test the mast hole with some heavy winds and a drysuit on ☺

Lets test the mast hole with some heavy winds and a drysuit on ☺
Not recommended. If it really breaks, then it will tear the deck, too, and that's a big repair:

You'll risk actually sinking the whole thing as well.

_

I will be careful!
Won't help much. If it breaks it breaks.
Funny thing, that mast step may actually be better attached to the bottom than on a real Laser. But you don't know until you've undone all that crazy stuff around the tube, cable ties and all. Then do a leak test by filling it with water.

_

Last edited:

Back