Bailer installation...doesn't look right

I bought a new bailer assembly but it doesn't fit completely flush with the hull. No matter how I attempt it, I can't make the thing fit flush. It seems the o-ring is keeping it from happening. I've thought of ditching the o-ring and using clear silicone all around the main body. I would appreciate any opinions.

Yes my baler on my 1979 hull dose not sit flush on the bottom of the hull. The baler is a through hull fitting and its angle is determined by the **** pit as this is where the nut seats its self and seals using the washer/plug arrangement.
I just left mine and was happy that it was not leaking but could run a bead of caulk around the gap for ascetics.

><> Minas man <><

As Andy David already pointed out, the bailer isn't supposed to be flush with the bottom. As long as it doesn't leak, don't worry and go sailing....

Re: Bailer installation...spider-cracks

As Andy David already pointed out, the bailer isn't supposed to be flush with the bottom.
The bailer is in a spot too-likely to get a "whack".

That non-flush design is probably intended to prevent spider-cracking. That's why I previously suggested that mainsheet blocks get a thin patch of rubber under 'em—to protect the deck from spider-cracks.

wavedancer - thanks for finding that old thread. I remembered talking about the (2) different thread lengths, and you saved me the searching.

cheers,
tag

I see...so...the new bailer isn't supposed to fit flush. Hummm...wonder why the old one did? Also wondering why only hand tight. Originally I installed it "hand tight" and it wasn't tight enough to keep it properly positioned, so I cranked it down a bit with a 6 foot pipe wrench. Too tight now? Why?

I see...so...the new bailer isn't supposed to fit flush. Hummm...wonder why the old one did? Also wondering why only hand tight. Originally I installed it "hand tight" and it wasn't tight enough to keep it properly positioned, so I cranked it down a bit with a 6 foot pipe wrench. Too tight now? Why?

'Hand-tight' as recommended by LaserPerformance isn't quite tight enough in my experience as well as yours. I had to give it another quarter turn with a big wrench to prevent water from entering the cockpit.

Back