Bailer Cap

Diddy

I have a 1975 Sunfish and bought a “new style” bailer cap, understanding that 1972 is the cut-off between old and new style caps. The new style cap I bought does not fit. Diameter is too wide, can’t even begin to thread it in. I can’t imagine an old style cap would fit. Any suggestions for finding a cap that fits my 1975?

You may have gotten the wrong part? I have a 1972 with the new bailer. It does not "thread in", it is two pieces of plastic that screw together.
You have to replace the whole assembly, you cannot mix and match.

Here is a pic:
SUN-91026-395x393.jpg

If you look at the pic posted by Gregory Matous in this thread. The part in question is the middle of the three parts, the cap that screws into the drain hole in the cockpit.

If you look at the pic posted by Gregory Matous in this thread. The part in question is the middle of the three parts, the cap that screws into the drain hole in the cockpit.
To prevent misunderstandings:
The cap does not screw into the drain hole. It screws into the part that's outside of the hull.

Reactions: tag
Website pictures that were selling them show a sort of side view so you can't tell
the hole goes all the way through. Anyway there are some caps on Ebay. I think
one hit a all time new price high as it is currently listed for $249.99 USD. I'm tempted
to buy a couple for $50 and flip them for $249.99. Maybe I'll just keep cap I have and
sell when the price hits $500.

I saw some Despersia caps for $15. I dont use them....so didn't feel compelled to buy. EBay seems to be a $50 value for them. I prefer jamming a rubber plug in...drains better without the cap and faster to use.

EBay a month ago. They even were a "buy it now" but sure they got scarfed up quick. I was close to buying .... But.....

The cheap caps get snatched up and reposted on Ebay for $50. Best I did
was $25 which was pure luck.

I'm going to put this out of my misery and try modeling
a cap in 3D and taking it to UPS to print it out in ABS.
If anyone is experienced in 3D printing please feel free
to beat me to the finish line because all I've ever used
is AutoCAD. Suggestions for a easy 3D modeling program?

I got a metal lathe in a trade a couple years ago and have thought about getting some brass stock and making one (some). If there are any improvements to be made I could incorporate them. Alas, I don't have one to dimension, all I have is the part attached to the hull.

I'll lone you one if you make one for me. The main features of the cap is that you can't break it and you foot will not take damage when you step on the rounded top of the cap. I wonder if adding a internal beaded chain to keep from losing it would help. Probably perfect just as it is no changes needed

I'll lone you one if you make one for me. The main features of
the cap is that you can't break it and you foot will not take damage
when you step on the rounded top of the cap. I wonder if adding
a internal beaded chain to keep from losing it would help. Probably
perfect just as it is no changes needed
I count 12 or 13 threads on my cap—which I keep in a drawer. ;)

'Guess I should measure the diameter(s), but at first glance, is this the same as yours?

Fullscreen capture 9222018 50707 PM.bmp.jpg

I don't know about the insert but it should be standard pipe threads. I know the brass cap is a standard pipe thread as I've used brass plugs from Ace Hardware plumbing.

Back