Bailer Balls

NightSailor

Captain
I am not particularly impressed by the bailer on any of my Sunfishes. I've seen people stuff styrofoam in there to try to put the ball in the right place to try and make it work.

Now I see a new product with is a donut shape black plastic part that encircles the ball and I'm told attaches to it, to allow it seat properly--and supposedly make the bailer work as it should.

Does anyone have any experience with these parts? Your impressions?

Now I see a new product with is a donut shape black plastic part that encircles the ball and I'm told attaches to it, to allow it seat properly--and supposedly make the bailer work as it should.
Does anyone have any experience with these parts?
Would you mind posting the link to this enhancement so we can see it and how it works?

Thanks

Would you mind posting the link to this enhancement so we can see it and how it works?

Thanks

http://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/79332-bailer-ball-5-new793325.html

Of course they don't have any in stock, or I would have bought a few. I called up and was told the balls fit captive in the donut. The donut allows them to seal better.

I'll call Torresen and see if they have any. But I don't see the point in paying more for shipping than they parts cost themselves. Next time I have a big order I'll pick some up.

I don't think you are seeing a new innovation.

SF_BAILER.jpg
79332.jpg

The p/n 91031 Bailer Ball and Seat are standard pieces of the present bailer assembly.

If the bailer you have is missing either or both of this part duo, it's no wonder you are disappointed with the function.

There's no question the bailer leaves something to be desired. The buoyancy of the ball is barely adequate to seal it tightly against the rubber seat to begin with. If the seat is worn and/or damaged (or missing altogether) or the float ball dirty, a good seal is not very likely.

Pond_Jet_Floating_Pump_and_Fountain.jpg

Combine this with the fact the cockpit floor is at or below the waterline when someone's aboard..., and that positive draining requires fairly good forward motion of the boat, the bailer is often a very misunderstood device.

Before ordering parts you may want to review what the setup manual says about proper assembly and function...

Attachments

• SF Bailer.jpg
    SF Bailer.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 95
I can't figure out this obsession for a perfect automatic bailer. Is everyone wearing their Sunday shoes that they don't want to get wet?
The bailer works as designed. I doubt a donut will help much. Save your money and enjoy the wetness!
Only a small bilge pump working from a battery on board will do a better job.

Fred

Remember, a boat, no matter the type or size, is a black hole in the water one throws money into with no to little expectation of a reasonable return. :rolleyes:

Remember, a boat, no matter the type or size, is a black hole in the water one throws money into with no to little expectation of a reasonable return. :rolleyes:

Really...., I'm sorry to hear that.

Mine returns to me 1000x more pleasure and fun than the $ investment I put into it.

The large sponge method really is a quick and easy way to remove water from inside the hull, via an inspection port.

I imagine the bailer assembly is a requirement for class legality, however, if this is not a concern it would make a lovely gift for somebody on your Sh__ list. As mentioned a sponge, or bleach bottle will do a fine job of removing water. Because it protrudes so much the bailer is easy to damage, as mine was so I turfed the bailer and Marine-Texed the hole, end of story.

Wayne: Sorry, was being a pessimist, I'm no where close to getting my hulls wet for another few weeks; I have to spend money on them first.

Wayne: Sorry, was being a pessimist, I'm no where close to getting my hulls wet for another few weeks; I have to spend money on them first.

The Yachters say "boat" stands for

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

but it must all be worth it, regardless. :cool:

This question about bailer's seems to come up quite often. Alot of people say they keep theirs plugged all the time.

I never use the plug, my bailer is always open and I never notice a water problem. The is always about a cup or two of water in my cockpit.

So...

Are my bailer's just working really good?

Do I have lower expectations in the bailer and am more easily satisfied? Not bothered by the small amounts of water in the cockpit.

Or, am I doing something right that others arn't by always keeping it open.

I think alot of this discussion is based on personal preference and expectations.

Maybe I'm too use to collegiate 420's, where on a rough day you are lucky when you don't have to bail out a small bathtub.

I never use the plug, my bailer is always open and I never notice a water problem. Are my bailer's just working really good?
Sounds like your bailer is working as it should. Down the road, if some backwash starts gurgling up into the cockpit, it'll be time to clean the ball and rubber seat or replace them.

79332.jpg
bailer_detail.gif

There is always about a cup or two of water in my cockpit.
Since the bailer opening sits about 1/4" above the cockpit floor, unless you can Harry Potter the last little bit into the drain hole, there will always be something to sponge up.

sunfish_bailer_assembly.JPG

Do I have lower expectations in the bailer and am more easily satisfied? Not bothered by the small amounts of water in the cockpit.
The bailer function is often misunderstood. Once you understand the boat needs to be in motion..., and at a pretty fair clip, it's not much of a problem to get a properly maintained bailer to drain as it should. Leak-back is another issue.

Or, am I doing something right that others aren't by always keeping it open.
I don't think that makes any difference. Most of us put the plug in because our bailers leak-back a little.

i have my 30$ sunfish i recently fixed up. its from the 60's.

the bailer ball is missing and theres no plug. when i sit still or go slow my pit fills up but when i get back up to speed not only do i get the joy of sailing fast and hiking out. i also get to watch the bailer suck all the water out :)

im debating if its worth the money to replace it.

i have my 30$ sunfish i recently fixed up. its from the 60's.

the bailer ball is missing and theres no plug. when i sit still or go slow my pit fills up but when i get back up to speed not only do i get the joy of sailing fast and hiking out. i also get to watch the bailer suck all the water out :)

im debating if its worth the money to replace it.
If only the purchase price had a bearing on part cost.

Should you tire of your personal tide generator, there is a less expensive alternative, a generic bailer plug.

160_moeller_snaptite.jpg

My Sunfish arrived with a broken bailer, so I bought a new one—then decided against it—plugged the hole with a "near-flat" plastic gas-cap, silicone sealer and tape. (And carry a big stopper ;) ).

Since the bailer opening sits about 1/4" above the cockpit floor, unless you can Harry Potter the last little bit into the drain hole, there will always be something to sponge up.
sunfish_bailer_assembly.JPG
1) I read here that natural sponge is best—and it is.

2) Since I mostly sail "recumbent", I sit (dry) on a 1"-thick gardener's pad.

3) To get those last drops, how about a narrow saw-cut across the top of the "Bailer Cap"? (Yes, it weakens it some). :(

4) Alternately, when the bailer is removed, a small hole could be drilled through the bailer cap.

Don't forget to bring along a battery operated hair dryer to dry up the left over moisture so your Sunday shoes don't get damp!

Unbelievable posts to beat a dead horse!

Fred

Attachments

• Beating-a-dead-horse.jpg
    Beating-a-dead-horse.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 39

Back