Backstay lower needed

billveno83

Looking for one segment of a J24 split backstay (lower). The turnbuckle in one of the backstay lowers on my 'project' boat has seized and I need a replacement.
Any suggestions about ready-made or quick turnaround rigging would be extremely helpful.
Many thanks!
Bill

Looking for one segment of a J24 split backstay (lower). The turnbuckle in one of the backstay lowers on my 'project' boat has seized and I need a replacement.
Any suggestions about ready-made or quick turnaround rigging would be extremely helpful.
Many thanks!
Bill

I have an extra I will sell. Please message me with the zip code an I will send pics to confirm.

I have an extra I will sell. Please message me with the zip code an I will send pics to confirm.
I am in Massachusetts, ZIP 02559.
I have contacted West Coast Sailing regarding a replacement but they aren't starting the order until tomorrow.
What is the length of your spare lower and the price?
On one of my lowers I have frozen turnbuckle - and am launching the boat this week. The rig would be OK - and I wouldn't sail until I have a proper replacement. Thanks for responding.
Bill

Please see the attached images.
This is from an older boat (1978?) that I parted out. I never had the second turnbuckle.
Notice where I made the measurements. 87" to the end of the fixed turnbuckle.
I do have the shackle that holds the two pulleys together.

Parker's Boat Yard is excellent.

IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1675.JPG

Looks good ... I think your lower will be fine. What are you asking for the single good lower backstay?
Where are you located (that you are familiar with Parker's Boatyard)? You might be nearby (I am in Pocasset, boat is stored in Mattapoisett), which would make this much easier and more timely for me!
Bill

It's not worth much to me, maybe $20. My cost will be in the logistics of packing it up and shipping.
It can go out tomorrow UPS.
Do you want an estimate, or can we just do $40 including shipping? Tell me your thoughts.

I live in PA (18940) but my brother's boat is in Boston. We "deliver" it to Parker's so his family can cruise the islands for the following week. (T34c)

It's not worth much to me, maybe $20. My cost will be in the logistics of packing it up and shipping.
It can go out tomorrow UPS.
Do you want an estimate, or can we just do $40 including shipping? Tell me your thoughts.

I live in PA (18940) but my brother's boat is in Boston. We "deliver" it to Parker's so his family can cruise the islands for the following week. (T34c)
$40 sounds good to me. How would you like me to pay you?
UPS is also good. My address is below (P.O. doesn’t deliver to the house, but UPS sometimes leaves stuff at the PO for me to pick up.)
Address, etc. is:

Bill Veno
5 Lantern Lane
P.O. Box 1002
Pocasset, MA 02559
(978) 590-8503
[email protected]

Let me know how to do payment and I will take care of that today if I can. Do you want to give me your phone # in case there’s any complications?
Many thanks,
Bill

Yes, I did and responded to it a few minutes ago. Thank you for getting the backstay out so promptly! That will be a huge relief for me, as I am launching this J24 after a long period of restoration, a little at a time.
Regarding payment, I could send you a bank check (with certification of funds by Bank of America), or whatever other method you prefer. Maybe PayPal is a possibility - I would just need to know your PayPal 'name' to do that. Please advise, and sincere thanks!
Bill

Hi again -
It occurred to me that it might make sense for me to buy your other lower - the one that is missing the lower turnbuckle and rod. I may actually be able to use it as well (since I do have a usable lower turnbuckle and rod).
Since it isn't of much use to you, would you mind including the other incomplete lower backstay as well? I will pay whatever additional price you think is fair for that one as well.
Sorry I didn't think of that earlier - and hope that isn't too much of an inconvenience to ship me both lowers.
Many thanks for this!
Bill

Hopefully, you received my previous message - sent at 11:16 pm last night. Please advise if you received it and whether adding the other lower backstay is feasible.
Thank you!
Bill

Bill,
Please check your spam folder. I have sent a few messages and I have not heard anything back.
Thanks,

Hi Tide Eyed -
My sincere apologies for the embarrassingly slow response to your messages. In addition to trying to get my boat into the water, we have welcomed our first grandchild - a boy - into our lives. My daughter gave birth on July 1st and she and my son-in-law and child all arrived on July 12th to spend the rest of the summer with us. Needless to say, that has changed my agenda pretty seriously.
Anyway, with our "new" backstay added, I did get the boat wet on July 15 and safely motored her across Buzzards Bay to her home in Cataumet. I did find some issues with the location of the mast on the keel - and have also been wrestling with a problem with a bent section of my roller furler (which came with the boat).
Thankfully, the amazing folks at Parker's have been helping me with the rigging of the furler and mast step location, so I should actually be ready to sail her shortly.
Clearly, I would not be in the water had it not been for your help in getting the backstay squared away.
I will send photos shortly. (Meanwhile, I am about to embark on my other passion - a 192 mile charity bike ride for Dana-Faber Cancer Institute in Boston. Sturbridge MA to Provincetown in 2 days. Wish me well. I'll be in touch with pics soon.
Many thanks!
Bill

Back