Backing a Sunfish trailer down a launch ramp

Clyde

I am aware of most of the usual backing hints: back-up camera, side mirrors, steering by one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, etc. I realize too that a small trailer has a small wheelbase which accentuates every small turn of the steering wheel. I have an original Alcort trailer which i bought in the 70's with two Sunfish. Of course over the years I have upgraded the trailer - new axel, wheels, tires, lights, repacking wheel bearings, etc. The axel can be moved forward or back but doing so throws off the center of gravity when boat is on trailer. I have a couple of problems which may or may not be unique. I'm blind in my right eye making it difficult to see over my right shoulder and the launch ramp I use has a fairly sharp slope. Not a problem when backing the rigged Sunfish, but when retrieving the 'fish from the water I cannot see the back of the trailer. I've tried the tennis ball on a magnetized expanding rod but to do much good I have to wade into the water to remove it before hauling on the boat. Very honestly i usually stop 2 or 3 times when backing and reposition the trailer by hand. I look like a fool when the guy next to me zips right in and out. So - any suggestions? Using another launch is not an option.

It is almost impossible to back up a trailer very far, when you can't see the trailer pretty clearly. If the back-up camera doesn't give you a good view, you need to add something to the trailer. How about two vertical bars spaced far enough apart that the boat fits between them? I often see these on trailers for motorboats, for example: https://www.charlestontrailer.com/img/new_trailer4_2950_lg.jpg
Maybe fabricate something using PVC pipe? Doable.

I've tried the tennis ball on a magnetized expanding rod but to do much good I have to wade into the water to remove it before hauling on the boat. Very honestly i usually stop 2 or 3 times when backing and reposition the trailer by hand. I look like a fool when the guy next to me zips right in and out. So - any suggestions? Using another launch is not an option.
If the tennis ball method is working, why not clamp it to the trailer? (Instead of relying on the magnet).

The vertical posts are trailer guides, galvanized steel L shaped brackets that have pvc pipe on them. We put two sets of the guides on some trailers so we can repurpose the trailer with crossbeams and make a rack.

BARBASHELA only needed one set of guides...and she showed off by riding stern first like a Herreshoff AmphiCraft.

Barbashela Beauvoir Pickup trailer outside.jpg

If you have the original Alcort trailer we'd love to see photos!

2 other options.
1. Put a hitch on the front of the tow vehicle.
2. Buy a dolly and skip the ramp altogether. You could even go fancy with the Right On trailer system.

Right On Trailer.jpg

When backing a small trailer like you have we go slow and go with the "No News In The Rear View Mirrors Is Good News" meaning if we can't see the trailer in the mirrors it's mostly lined up behind us.

I usually stop 2 or 3 times when backing and reposition the trailer by hand. So - any suggestions? Using another launch is not an option.
I also rig my Laser on the trailer then back it down the ramp. And I almost always pull it out of the water rigged as well. But when backing it down the ramp to launch the boat I never look at the mast and I never look over my shoulder. I always use the side view mirrors and look for the wheels... even though the width of the trailer at the wheels is less than the width of my Tacoma. This is how I also back it up when there is no boat on the trailer.

Being able to immediately see what the wheels are doing is the key. So I would recommend that you rig some easy to install and easy to remove lengths of PVC pipe that mount on top of each of your tire fenders or the frame that stick straight out to the side horizontally that are a little bit wider than the width of your vehicle. Then take your trailer with no boat on it to a great big parking lot somewhere and spend a lot of time backing up while just looking at your side view mirrors and using your two pieces of PVC pipe to give you advance notice as to what your trailer is doing.

By the way, that's how I taught my daughter how to back up her horse trailer in her big truck. We went to a great big open parking lot and I had her practice backing her trailer up all over the place... and only by using the side view mirrors.

Cheers,

- Andy

If the tennis ball method is working, why not clamp it to the trailer? (Instead of relying on the magnet).
The magnet works fine - problem is I have to wade into the water to get it out of the way of the boat so clamping wouldn't work either. Thanks for suggestion, though.

I also rig my Laser on the trailer then back it down the ramp. And I almost always pull it out of the water rigged as well. But when backing it down the ramp to launch the boat I never look at the mast and I never look over my shoulder. I always use the side view mirrors and look for the wheels... even though the width of the trailer at the wheels is less than the width of my Tacoma. This is how I also back it up when there is no boat on the trailer.

Being able to immediately see what the wheels are doing is the key. So I would recommend that you rig some easy to install and easy to remove lengths of PVC pipe that mount on top of each of your tire fenders or the frame that stick straight out to the side horizontally that are a little bit wider than the width of your vehicle. Then take your trailer with no boat on it to a great big parking lot somewhere and spend a lot of time backing up while just looking at your side view mirrors and using your two pieces of PVC pipe to give you advance notice as to what your trailer is doing.

By the way, that's how I taught my daughter how to back up her horse trailer in her big truck. We went to a great big open parking lot and I had her practice backing her trailer up all over the place... and only by using the side view mirrors.

Cheers,

- Andy
I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks.

The magnet works fine - problem is I have to wade into the water to get it out of the way of the boat so clamping wouldn't work either. Thanks for suggestion, though.
How about attaching a bungee "leash" to the magnet and the trailer handle (or to the sedan).

Back