Back in the game...

CW Spook

I learned what little I know about sailing on a Sunfish back in the early 70s at my in-laws summer place in northern MN. Had a great time. Back then we had a whole fleet of 'fish that were there at the same time and we'd have races and lots of good times. One of my favorite memories of those days was a morning sail in the fog the day we had to head home to Iowa. I held onto it as my 'happy place' for years, but life has a way of intervening and it faded into the fog of memories. Fast forward 40 years...now retired, FIL passed away, and the cabin is in our care. This spring while we were opening up, I was sitting on the front steps looking across the brook where our fishing boats are careened for the winter, along with my BIL's Sunfish, when I noticed something leaning against a cedar tree. I climbed over the other hulls, and there, against the tree, covered with moss and lichens, was the old white Sunfish I'd learned to sail in, slowly dying. I made a vow that wouldn't happen. I dragged her into the water, and over close to the dock where I could haul her up on shore....a real mess, but thankfully, mostly cosmetic. On the next trip up, a drive into town to the local marine dealer brought mildew cleaner and polishing compound. Digging through the garage yielded the original rudder and daggerboard, a mast, spars and an ancient sail. The rigging was missing a couple of parts, but I baling wired it together, and after christening her 'Promises Kept', we went for our first sale in over a quarter century. We're headed back north tomorrow morning, this time with a new Intensity Sails white racing sail, new halyard & sheet, new hardware, and a refinished mahogany rudder & daggerboard to begin our new sailing adventures together. Wish us luck...
Promises%20Kept_zpszpuup0od.jpg

CW Spook - that is awesome! great to find the original 'Fish, and sail her again. keep us posted.

That was a great story Spook. I feel exactly the same way about old boats. The Sunfish I got months ago out here in California has had a hard life. Fairly neglected and abused... kind of like an animal rescue feline.

After taking her out on her first day on a 4 hour, 12 mile out and return... during which time I discovered she had a significant leak and was filling with water... I named her, "The Betty". This is after a spaceship that appears in the 4th Alien movie, "Alien Resurrection". In that movie, "The Betty" is an old, broken down beast that looks like crap but still gets the job done. The perfect moniker for the Fish that now sits in my garage.

After wondering if dealing with all the new, "Problems of the week" that I was continually uncovering was worth it I finally decided that, yes, our meeting was no accident and that I was meant to keep working on her until she's fully restored.

So, if takes me a year or two to do everything no big deal. It's the right thing to do. And makes me feel good. Like adopting a stray cat!

- Andy

Back