Back Burnered Project Boat.. Picked up another.

Corprin

I want to sail this season, and my cracked 1976 wasn’t going to let me. Ended up finding this on FB Marketplace about 3hr from home.

IMG_1799.jpeg

IMG_1801.jpeg

IMG_1802.jpeg

70709463001__F6B20880-4DF6-4B27-B50A-99D7DC2EE0DF.jpeg

Story is, aunt bought it new in 2000, never sailed it. Gave to her nephew in 2013, and it sat in his garage. Advertised “never been in water.” Considering the main sheet block and deck cleat have no wear, and no scratches on the dagger board trunk or mast step, I’m inclined to believe. Even if it was in the water, wasn’t much. Has a couple light scratches and a chip on the gunnel, but it’s in exceptional condition for a 23yo boat. Deck and hull is rock solid at every point I pressed and thumped on it.

70709467751__23EBCDF0-7004-41C3-92B9-DEFA0062FD3C.jpeg

Got the boat, dolly, spar/sail bag, the FRP daggerboard with bag, and wood rudder with extension. Paid more than I wanted at $4k, because I’m cheap, but I’m pretty stoked to have a boat ready for this weekend.

The cracked hull 76 will be for learning experience and resto project, and given to my 8yo when he graduates from sailing camp this August.

Last edited:
Corpin,

Very nice boat. What is the Hull I.D. on the upper right hand side of the transom? I think this boat may be newer than 2000.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Corpin,

Very nice boat. What is the Hull I.D. on the upper right hand side of the transom? I think this boat may be newer than 2000.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Hey Alan!

Last 4 are h001, so built 08/2000 for model year 2001?

On edit:

Looking at paperwork, I have the statement of origin sending the boat to Woodlawn Resort in MN 08/18/2000, from and signed that date by P. Ellis at Vanguard.

It was then sold to the aunt TS 10/29/2000, by Bud at Woodlawn.

I have the bill of sale from TS to the gentleman I bought it from ED dated 11/28/2013.

All paperwork and registration show the boat as a 2000 model.

Last edited:
OK, it's a 2000 boat, basically New,Old Stock (NOS). A new boat comparably equipped retails for over $6,000 so at $4,000 I think you got a fairly good deal, and your 2000 boat may be better built and longer lasting than the brand new Portugal built boats that early on had some significant quality controi issues (better now,I am told by a local dealer.) Enjoy your new 'fish.,

Alan Glos
Cazenovia,NY

Wow! The dolly sells around $560 plus shipping. And spar bags are not free. You got a great deal on a well built boat.

And it will be fun to fix up the 1976 boat, also very well built.

Do they have names yet?

Wow! The dolly sells around $560 plus shipping. And spar bags are not free. You got a great deal on a well built boat.

And it will be fun to fix up the 1976 boat, also very well built.

Do they have names yet?

The 76 is likely “Nickel and Dime”

The 00 is unnamed.

Tomorrow is first time on the water.

norcal, 2000 is Vanguard, Steve Clark company, who now with his son are Fulcrum, making the UFO and Rocket.

NICKEL AND DIME is a great name.

FREE KITTEN would be another good name for many Sunfish :)

She had fun either way.

The Sunflsh Class is a One Design Class that sails using World Sailing rules, and there are rules...and stickers... to make sure "Class Legal" parts are used.

There is also a Class Measurer to make sure no unauthorized modifications have been made to the boat, spar, blades, etc..., and I suppose, help me out here Class Racers, that the Measurer makes sure parts that are pre-sticker era are within spec for their era. For instance ZIP is within spec for his era, except I'm not sure about the 3 Loop Bridle...He can race with a Fogh North Canada racing sail, Barrington board and spoon tip rudder, from later years.

IMG_1531.jpeg

Back