Awlgrip?

I've got 2 Lasers currently, one of which is a yellow 1984. The gelcoat is starting to fade and I'm looking at the best way to make her look good again. I've read some of the other posts and many have suggested using Awlgrip which seems like a great cost effective and less labor intesive way of making the boat "out of the factory" glossy again.

I went to the Awlgrip website and they say it's for topside use only. This concerns me a little. Can I use one of their white colors on the entire hull including beneath the water line?

Also, some tips would be useful. Do i need to sand the old gelcoat off first. Do I sand all the way down to fiberglass or just part way throught it?

Thanks.

Dan

Laser of the Corn said:
I've got 2 Lasers currently, one of which is a yellow 1984. The gelcoat is starting to fade and I'm looking at the best way to make her look good again. I've read some of the other posts and many have suggested using Awlgrip which seems like a great cost effective and less labor intesive way of making the boat "out of the factory" glossy again.

I went to the Awlgrip website and they say it's for topside use only. This concerns me a little. Can I use one of their white colors on the entire hull including beneath the water line?

Also, some tips would be useful. Do i need to sand the old gelcoat off first. Do I sand all the way down to fiberglass or just part way throught it?

Thanks.

Dan

If it were me, I would first try wetsanding going from 180 up thru 1200 in 200 grit jumps or so (you are going to need to sand the surface with 180 or 220 anyway if you paint) You want to sand enough so that you bring fresh gelcoat to the surface and remove the oxidation.

Next go thru the rubbing/polishing/wash. Get a hold of a good electric polishing machine (NOT the $50 models at Sears and the Lowes/Home Depot) and machine rubbing compound/polishing compound (3M makes good stuff, available at auto paint supply houses). Try this on a small section of the hull, if you don't like the results, you haven't spent much time or money.

If you do end up painting, you don't want to sand thru all the gelcoat - just sand it smooth with the recommended grit, filling scratches as needed. (If you leave them, they will show thru the new finish)

As far as Awlgrip and topside use only. They are talking about boats that are kept in the water all the time, if your boat is only in the water while sailing, it's not a problem.. As far as the rest of the prep goes, you can't go wrong if you follow the Awlgrip guidelines.

Awlgrip: Beautiful, yes, cost effective, no.

The supplies to awlgrip my laser cost me just over $500, but it has a beautiful finish. If I turn her upside down, it's like a mirror (Silver on the hull).

Pictures of my boat last August:
http://img15.echo.cx/img15/69/david0794vu.jpg
http://img15.echo.cx/img15/9133/david0805zs.jpg

Start with 180 grit, then do a 400 grit (wet) sanding to remove some oxidization and get some fresh gelcoat to the surface. If you still aren't happy, send me a message and I'll help you get the awlgrip stuff you need and help you get the boat ready for painting.

What year boat did you do refinish? just curious.

I'm thinking about just doing below the waterline to give it a two tone look like the new vanguards. That silver color looks pretty nice, how does that compare to the botton color on the vanguards?

It looks like you refinished the deck also. Did you use the cloud white color? I was looking at the Awlgrip website and saw that color and thought about the deck in that color.

Deck is cloud white, hull is silver.

It's a 1974, sail number 21002.

If your going to paint the hull, don't do part of it, do it all. It won't look nice having brand new Awlgrip, with 21 year old gel coat. I would never consider doing that. Vanguard has no comparison to the silver, as far as I know, I own the only silver Laser :).

I just got my Awlgrip order in today for my 13' Whaler chase boat I'm restoring. I'll post pictures and well as describe the process when it's finished just as reference.

Have you weighed your '74 hull? I have a '76 and when helping other guys lift their boats onto cars and trailers mine seems much heavier than the newer boats which in light air especially seems to be an issue.

I am sure that better sailors would still whip my butt if they were in my older (heavy ??) boat and I in a new lighter boat. I have heard that the older boats had more 'glass in them and were stronger but I am not trying to compete in a demolition derby, I am trying to be competitive.

My hull is stiff and I have stored it inside a heated garage in the winter and corrected leaks (see my post today about leaks) but if our vintage of boats were inherently heavier I wonderif it's worth refinishing.

Did you do the awlgrip job yourself or have a professional body shop do it? It looks absolutely beautful

I understand your dilema....

I've read the pro/con of other topic regarding Gelcoat vs Awlgrip. I'm planning to refinish the hull of my 79 Laser this winter. Unfortunately, I can't find Awlgrip paint anywhere around here in Ontario, Canada. Beside gelcoat all I see is Interlux Perfection paint. Reading on their site it looks like it's the same type of two stage poly paint, maybe a bit less expensive.:confused:

Before I start ordering this awlgrip from the States. Anybody uses Interlux ? Any thought ?

Annie :eek:

Ninie said:
I understand your dilema....

I've read the pro/con of other topic regarding Gelcoat vs Awlgrip. I'm planning to refinish the hull of my 79 Laser this winter. Unfortunately, I can't find Awlgrip paint anywhere around here in Ontario, Canada. Beside gelcoat all I see is Interlux Perfection paint. Reading on their site it looks like it's the same type of two stage poly paint, maybe a bit less expensive.:confused:

Before I start ordering this awlgrip from the States. Anybody uses Interlux ? Any thought ?

Annie :eek:

I've sprayed an earlier Interlux 2 part poly paint, as well as Awlgrip and Dupont 2 part (Imron) IMHO, Awlgrip had the best gloss/shine, with a little harder finish (ie scratching with a fingernail took more force). Sterling was another brand in this catagory.

The other two were less expensive, and are easier to spot repair.
That said, I was happy with all 3 results

Ninie - Awlgrip distributors in Ontario:

DOWNING PRODUCTS, LTD.
4090 RIDGEWAY DR., UNITS 11-12
MISSISSAUGA
ONTARIO, CANADA L5L 5X5
(905) 828-2399
FAX: (905) 569-0302
AWLGRIP, AWLGRIP2, AWLWASH/AWLCARE,
AWLMIX
RON DAWSON

PAYNE'S DISTRIBUTORS, INC.
2360 INDUSTRIAL STREET
BURLINGTON, ONTARIO
CANADA L7P 1A1
(905) 332-8291
FAX: (905) 332-0557
AWLGRIP, AWLCRAFT 2000
TOM POLLOCK

I've worked with Payne's before, great service, and they got my stuff to me within three bussiness days (to Nova Scotia). I'd opt for Awlgrip over Interlux, Awlgrip has a stronger finish. I got hit on the port side while on a starboard tack in 15 knot winds, it didn't even leave a scratch.

pirouette - I'll weigh my hull this weekend hopefuly, I think it's on the lighter side since I removed a lot of the original banana yellow gel coat.

I did all the prep work on my boat, a friend of my grandfathers did the spraying.

Back