Automatic vs. Manual

Dbarder

Hi all. I am looking around for a new car and something that could tow my Laser. I was wondering if an automatic or manual tranmission would be better to tow a laser+trailer.

For you Europeans, would a Opel Corsa, 1.4L 90hrs automatic car tow a laser+trailer well? Or should I go for a manual trans.? Anyone share the same experience?

Thanks,

Hi all. I am looking around for a new car and something that could tow my Laser. I was wondering if an automatic or manual tranmission would be better to tow a laser+trailer.

For you Europeans, would a Opel Corsa, 1.4L 90hrs automatic car tow a laser+trailer well? Or should I go for a manual trans.? Anyone share the same experience?

Thanks,

Shouldn't be a problem - I haven't towed my Laser yet but I have a tow-bar on my Honda Jazz 1.4 for towing my previous boat, an RS Vareo, which is heavier than a Laser. I found that the main problem was that towing was so effortless that you could forget that you had the extra length of the trailer behind you - can't see that the automatic option would make any difference,

Nigel

In terms of power, there's no reason a 1.9L can't pull a Laser. My car has a 1.8L with an auto. Quite frankly, I wish I can bought one with a manual. With the extra load of the trailer, when accelerating or going up hill it just never seems to shift at the right time. I think a manual would be better for the life of the transmission. Of course cruising at 70+ on the interstate doesn't help much either.

The clutch is the weak point of towing with a manual transmission. If anything you would burn out a clutch and not harm the transmission itself. Laser & trailer are light so you won't put that much strain on the clutch.

With my Xterra, the auto transmission gives the vehicle a higher tow rating than the manual does for some reason.... but for something as light as a Laser it's irrelevant... the entire boat plus trailer should weigh less than a couple of beefy passengers... you could tow it with a bicycle.

edit: I would say that manuals are nicer for gear selection in general, though... you don't want the auto hunting around for the right gear when pulling up long hills in the mountains

Back