Auto-capsize at the dock

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
My question is related to the thread Launching in Heavy Winds.

I also launch from a dock, prep the boat, and tie it down with a painter from the bow eye. Sometimes I have to leave the boat at the dock for a skippers' meeting or something else. But when it gets windy (above 15 knots or so), my boat will occasionally capsize by itself. This is related to the shifty winds around the dock because of nearby trees and the configuration of the land. It seems that the boat doesn't seem to have time to re-orient itself when there's a sudden shift.
The board and the rudder are down, the boom is roughly horizontal and the sheet is running free.

Any recommendations (board, vang?) to minimize the auto capsizing?

Leave the board out of the boat and the rudder off the transom. Leave the mainsheet completely un-rigged - or at least not run through the traveler block (just leave it free after the boom end block.

I'd suggest leaving the clew right off the boom, but I appreciate it is difficult to rig this up with the boat already in the water in a breeze.

Why not precapsize it?
At our club, in a blow, we will pull the boats over and rest them on the bank. Stops bucking booms making dents in masts/wind indicators when there are a lot of boats on the jetty.

Why not precapsize it?
At our club, in a blow, we will pull the boats over and rest them on the bank. Stops bucking booms making dents in masts/wind indicators when there are a lot of boats on the jetty.

Same here. we are lucky that when the lake is full the, the bank is the perfect height, you can capsize a laser and let the mast and sail rest horizontally on the lawn.

the problem is that your boat is sailing on its own, make sure the sail can stay luffed up with the wind shifts, you can derig the main sheet, and maybe try lifting up the blades (the boat will slip without the blades), you could also try releasing the ratchet on your main block so that the main sheet runs out easier.

Thanks all for your input.
I will be trying your recommendations and see what works when it gets really windy in my area (not often :().

Back