auto bailer

What does a auto bailer look like when the plug in the cockpit is closed? I have never had one which works untill now (i think). I was looking a mine and when i pull the plug out the plastic opens,(which it should) however when i push the plug back in the plastic thing doesnt completly shut......my question is.....does the plastic thing on the bottom of the boat completly shut when you have the plug pushed all the way in????if so what is the matter with mine, because nothing seems to look broken.

The bailer should be flat to the hull when it is closed in the cockpit. If not check the rubber o rings that pull the bailer closed, (you'll need to rempve the bailer from the hull to do this) and check the position of the rubber stopper on the brass rod of the bailer. You may be able to slide it closer to the end of the brass rod which may allow it to completely close on the underside while still keeping a good seal in the cockpit.

Yes as said above it should be completely flat... i mine is not installed yet (its going in this year...just got the boat last and previous owner didnt see the need:|) i think that possibly if it is somewhat old that when closing it the mechanism may have started to wear out and that may be a cause for the problem, or the stopper isnt actually going far enough back to fully close the bailer...hope this helps a bit and you can find your problem.

If its not absolutely flush by micro millimeters it could just be a little warped. If its sticking out quite a bit its probably popped out of the plastic bracket that it snaps into, so you'll need to remove the bailer and snap it back in. This happens a lot if your bailer is open when you haul out onto your dolly or a dock...

Back