Auto-Bailer Replacement Help Needed

tguil

I'm in the process of getting my daughter's 1982 Laser ready to for some late season sailing. The auto-bailer is broken. No "door", just a rectanglar hole in the hull. I assume the whole bailer needs to be replaced. The boat will be use for recreational sailing only.

1. Do we really need the bailer. If not what, should I use to cover the "hole" in the hull?

2. Will a new bailer kit fit a 23 year old boat with no hassle.

3. What's the best/quickest source for a new bailer.

Thanks.

Tom :cool:

If you still have the rubber plug you will have to twist that off from inside the cockpit.
From the bottom: Use a screwdriver and screw out the one screw in the center that holds the plastic in place.

Take the part to your local dealer and buy whatever you need.

If there is no local dealer...Buy a bunch of boats and sell them yourself. It is a pretty good business

If you don't really want to be a dealer...

and there is no local guy..

Inspect the plate you removed and look for two tiny horseshoe shaped things that stick up right next to the square hole. Sometimes the little tabs are cracked and broken when the scoop is broken off.

If everything looks really nice and solid...You can buy a Bailer repair kit from the sailboat Shop 512-454-7171

If the bailer part you have looks anything other than really pretty...just go for the entire replacement bailer. same Phone number

OK why the Austin guy? Becuase you are going to meet him when you bring yourself and your daughter to the Easter Laser regatta next spring. If you don't have a boat of your own...We will get you one.

http://cerebus.winsite.com/fred/Easter.htm

If you still have the rubber plug you will have to twist that off from inside the cockpit.
From the bottom: Use a screwdriver and screw out the one screw in the center that holds the plastic in place.

Take the part to your local dealer and buy whatever you need.

If there is no local dealer...Buy a bunch of boats and sell them yourself. It is a pretty good business

If you don't really want to be a dealer...

and there is no local guy..

Inspect the plate you removed and look for two tiny horseshoe shaped things that stick up right next to the square hole. Sometimes the little tabs are cracked and broken when the scoop is broken off.

If everything looks really nice and solid...You can buy a Bailer repair kit from the sailboat Shop 512-454-7171

If the bailer part you have looks anything other than really pretty...just go for the entire replacement bailer. same Phone number

OK why the Austin guy? Because you are going to meet him when you bring yourself and your daughter to the Easter Laser regatta next spring. If you don't have a boat of your own...We will get you one.

http://cerebus.winsite.com/fred/Easter.htm

Gouvernail,

Thanks for the quick reply. My daughter might take you up on your offer to head to the Regatta next Easter. She is moving from New York City to Minneapolis. She might be ready for a warm sail. There may still be ice in Minnesota at that time.

I might even consider going with to be the maintenace guy. I now longer sail. Sold my Hobie Cat several years ago. It was a sad day.

Gouvernail,

Thanks for the quick reply. My daughter might take you up on your offer to head to the Regatta next Easter. She is moving from New York City to Minneapolis. She might be ready for a warm sail. There may still be ice in Minnesota at that time.

I might even consider going with to be the maintenace guy. I no longer sail. Sold my Hobie Cat several years ago. It was a sad day.

Back