Auto bailer question

ang

I was reading about springs and i found a thread about sealing the bottom of the bailer so it drains more better since there would be more suction. i cant find the tread, so is it worth it to seal it? i got the springs so i wont need to take it apart any time soon.
thanks
angelo

they work a lot better, i would recommend the 12$ it cost. it took awhile to put the left one on though.

I used 5200 around the edges to make it a better fit.. wear and tear makes the edges round out after a while, causing some drag. Also, avoid using tape across the leading edge, it doesn't work for very long. And don't put the screw in so tight, it will flex the middle in, and lift the edges, making it un-flush with the laser bottom.

i have springs, im talking about the 5200, i might be working on my boat tomorrow and i dont have a west marine near me

3m is the brand you want for marine silicone.. 5200 is the permanent version which isn't actually permanent, and works for just about everything.. If you want something a step down, get 4200.. I would prefer these over any other brand of "marine silicone"

3m 5200 is high strength polyurethane adhesive/sealant. 3m 4200 is the fast cure version of 5200. Many companies including 3m make marine grade silicone.. Silicone is useful for waterproofing things like screws. It has no shear strength whatsoever. The 5200 or Sikaflex (also a poly) are better for bedding hard to bed things like the Laser autobailer. The biggest hurdle is the bailer itself is made from nylon I believe. Nothing wants to stick to nylon. So use plenty of whatever goop you choose.

Never use 5200 or 4200 for things like an inspection port. You will have to cut it out if it ever needs removing. 3m 5200 is bombproof.

Back