Auto-bailer bands

MLP8415

I am a big supporter of One Design racing. However, the laser class insults me with the silly and narrow views about such things as the O-rings and sails. The class should decided on the legality of what can be used not the builder and their distributors.

Recently I replaced my auto bailer, and have been very happy with the results...However, i have recently discovered that my bands connecting the "plug" to the actual opening have disappeared. I don't know where to find new ones, someone said that they were just o-rings that you could get at any hardware store, another person said that rubber bands from braces would work, and a third person said i had to buy a repair kit.
Thoughts??

happy new year!

from what i can gather to be class legal you need to buy the $155000 ones from "laser" ... but you can get identical ones in a pack of 50 for $5 from any hardware store.

if they check and find they are not legal .. and say .. "blaa blaa" you just tell them where to put it IMHO.

Princess,
Just get any number from any hardware store. The outside diameter is 5/8" and the
inside dia. is 7/16". Cost is two for less than a dollar. Installation might drive you nuts if
you are new to it. Using a screwdriver, pop out the shaft, hang the bands on both the
shaft and housing and push the shaft back in the tight slot. The bands usually do not
last more than two seasons.--------JC

I find the o-rings last longer if you store the boat with the bailer closed since they are not being continously stretched. I store my boat in my garage, but I realize that those who store their boat outisde may not which to leave the bailer closed.

Back