Aussie Laser Sailors

I'm an aussie laser 2 sailor. I rarely sail laser 1s anymore cause I don't go sailing with the uni club much now (they have lasers).

Usually I race a 125.

I'm in Queensland.

cool!! ummm.. i was wondering.. is there a uni in queensland offering physio? I really wanted to try some uni's in the eastern states (i'm from the west side ;) ) but i wasn't sure what they're like. Are they any good? (They're probably better than the ones here on a global scale..).

I think most uni's here offer physio. I know that my uni (University of Queensland) does. I don't know what the course is like, but UQ seems like a good uni.

Just look up the websites for the unis here and it should tell you about the course. Try:
University of Queensland,
Queensland University of Technology
Griffith Uni
Central Queensland Uni
Uni of Southern Queensland
Australian Catholic Uni.

I think that's about it for the state of Qld.

Where abouts is Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club? I came to WA at the end of last year for the 125 Nationals - we sailed on the Swan River.

sailingchik said:
Hey,you guys going to nationals in tassie?? Can't wait!!!!

I'd love to but don't have the time and money to get me and my boat down there. I'm sure it would a great venue and top class event. It crosses over with the arrival of the Sydney to Hobart fleet as well. That city is going to be in a sailing frenzy! :D :D :D

No, I can't. I'm going to the 125 Nationals in Victoria so I won't have the money.

Good to see that there are so many Aussie's here.

Has anyone ever sailed at Gippsland Lakes in Victoria? What's it like - weatherwise, conditions for sailing etc?

Aussie ex-sailor here, in the process of catching the bug again... I seem a bit older and fatter than most in here, as I've never sailed Radials (they were the coming thing as I was gaining weight) and never even seen a 4.7... had an M-rig for a season or two in my early teens... have informed the wife that the five year plan is a new boat and a fair bit of use for it... now which of the kids should I sell to finance the dream?

Well, I'm soon to be an aussie non-laser sailor as I have advertised my boat for sale.

I'll still be around in the sailing circles, just in a different class of boat (as soon as my elbow gets better that is *rolls eyes at stupid repeated stress injury*).

laser2_9804 said:
Well, I'm soon to be an aussie non-laser sailor as I have advertised my boat for sale.

I'll still be around in the sailing circles, just in a different class of boat (as soon as my elbow gets better that is *rolls eyes at stupid repeated stress injury*).

im goin to take a stab at your injury and say tennis elbow... lol dont worry, its better than finding out you'll need a knee reconstruction within the next two years :S

laser2_9804 said:

That's a shame. So you have Laser 2 elbow? What motion caused the injury? Last summer I had pain in my wrists and it seems to have gone away this year. The little muscles would get all knotted up and I could relieve the pain by pressing on the knots. Are you sure you don't have something like this? Maybe just taking a break would relieve it, like I did in the winter, and you could go back to it.

Yes, it is tennis elbow. That's not the reason I'm selling my boat, I've just moved onto sailing 125's. Anyway, hopefully my arm will be better soon because the sailing season starts in September.

New season starting up dudes. What regattas are you doing? Post them here.

I'm heading down to Sydney Harbour for the Double Bay Anniversary Regatta this weekend. I'll probably also do the NSW State Masters (my first!) and Open NSW States in Canberra.

Hey I'm a Sydneysider :D

Where do you Sydneysiders go sailing ?

I plan to do most in the Iron cove and around cockatoo island...

Anyone done any at Pittwarer ? Any good or too windy ?

There are some good clubs near Iron Cove; Hunters Hill is probably the pick. West of the bridge there is a limited amount of room and it is very land locked. Flat water and very shifty. East of the Harbour Bridge is a different kettle of fish; waves, open water, settled sea breeze, but a lot of traffic. There are excellent laser fleets at Vaulcluse (75th anniversary this year) , Double Bay (Now easily accesible through cross city tunnel), and Middle Harbour. You can see the websites for all these clubs via the magic of google.

[hope this aint a double post!]
I'm new to sailing Lasers - Santa bought me an old but reliable one for Xmas (tho I've been sailing on and off for 20 years). Previously I've been sailing a Solo out of Carcoar Dam Sailing Club in the Central West of NSW, Australia. In my teenage years I sailed Flying 11s and 16-foot skiffs.

I was planning to join the Dobroyd Aquatic Club at Rodd point, great place to sail. But they race on saturdays and I play cricket on saturdays.... I see that Woolahra sails races on sundays and they have a HUGE laser fleet but then again it's more windy, choppy, more traffic...tough decision !

[hmmm... strange... I made a post on this thread yesterday, yet today it's gone! :confused: ]

I'm only new to sailing Lasers... santa dropped a good old second-hand one off under my Xmas Tree this Xmas for moi... normally I've been sailing a Solo out of Carcoar Dam in the Central West of NSW. carcoarsail.yoll.net

It'll take a little bit of getting used to... tis like jumping from a car with a manual transmission into an automatic! heh heh.

Yeah there is something wierd happenning with the posts in this thread??

Welcome to Laser sailing Maljam. Great to see another Central West sailor on here. I sail just about every week on Lake Wallace (Wallerawang Sailing Club) - we normally get 4 or 5 Lasers out. I also try and get to a few Laser Class regatta's each year as well.

I hope your getting all this rain out west too. Should fill a few dams up!

PM me if you want any more info.

Thanx for the welcome. I think I've actually met you at the W'ang Regatta back in November anyways. I was sailing the leaky Solo! heh heh I'm planning on attending a few sails casually at W'ang before the seasons' out, plus a few weekends up at Windamere too. I might see you at the Oberon regatta in 2 weeks as well.
Thanx again. See you out on the water somewhere :)

Back