Auction Price on '76 Sunfish...

L&VW

Went to an auction Saturday, and what should be front-and-center, but a nice Sunfish?

Except for mooring stains on the hull, and that it was crammed into a small space, the boat looked like new!:)

PA100001_zpsn7kv70mt.jpg

I thought it was the last of the aluminum-trim boats. The boards showed wear, but everything else indicated extremely light use. I thought of bidding on it, but I don't need a fourth Sunfish. :confused: (Plus, I like tinkering with my oldest one, and this one should be a "Garage Queen").

PA100003_zpsfswitlii.jpg

The bidding ended at $700, so the youngster this was intended for starts with basically a clean sheet. (Pardon the pun). ;) This model was indicated to me to be an "Anniversary Model". (A big two-fer auction winner).

The photo of the gooseneck reminded me that a "fix" to enlarge a corroded or over-tightened fitting, is to insert a bolt from underneath, insert a dime in the gap, and tighten the bolt until loosened. :)

PA100002_zpsrpye5nwh.jpg

That is a great looking boat. Must have been very tempting.

I have a 1972 metal trim, paid maybe 800 for it. As soon as I saw it on craigslist, i was driving down to get it. Probably wouldn't do an even trade with a new boat.

Last weekend we went sailing on the lake for a couple of hours, medium wind. Afterwards I opened up the inspection port I put in when i got it and there was maybe 1-2 drops of water in it. Boat probably has another 30 years in it.
myfish.JPG

Back