Attention Texas Sailors!

chinbeard

So I finally got a boat yesterday (a Force5) and trailer.

The problem is, I have to tow it across the state 300 miles, so I absolutely have to make sure everything is nice and legal. The trailer doesn't have any type of title, and I think that it was home-built. I looked online, and I came across TXDOT instructions for home-built trailers, but everything seems concerned with trailers in excess of 4,000 lbs. What should I do?

Also, do I have to get liability insurance for the trailer?

Thanks

Registration in Texas is no problem. I just walked into a local Dallas County tax office and told them that I wanted to register a home-built trailer. I gave them an estimated load capacity for the trailer, wrote out a check, and they handed me a set of tags. Pretty cut and dry.

I don't know where you are located in our great state but make sure that your boat is also registered. Several local game wardens are really cracking down in the D/FW area.

My experience with registration on a "home made" trailer is the same as mikepaddle.....fill out the necessary paperwork, pay your money and walk out with your new tags. If you are registering a home made trailer, then you are not subject to paying the sales tax like you are if you actually purchased the trailer and are transferring the title in your name.

When I got the home made registration on my trailer, there was no mention about proof of insurance on the trailer...........so I would say that insurance is not a requirement to get it titled at least on a trailer with minimal weight limits. At least not here in Texas. You can easily confirm this by calling the appropriate city/county office in your city.

According to Texas Registration Requirements, a sailboat under 14 feet in length when wind blown is exempt from having to register their boat. If your boat is motorized (regardless of length) or has an auxiliary motor then it will need to be titled.

yeah, i just checked it out...apparently i have to tow it to an "auto theft task force" so they can make sure nobody stole the rusted piece of junk.

funny story, the previous owner screwed a wooden engine mount to the hull!

Back