Attention Regional/National level sailors! have a question!

This question is directed at regional- and national-level sailors, as I would prefer their advice over someone who just started sailing a laser. I'm looking to buy the upgrades, and wondering wether i should get an 8:1 cunningham or something less, as it would be cheaper. Has anyone sailed with both an 8:1 and like a 6:1 or 4:1, and can they tell me which they prefer, and why?

The old 4:1 hurt my hands. My cunningham setting for upwind was "pull till it hurts" I sailed with less cunningham then many other sailors because my old hands just could not stand to be squished that hard.

With the new multiple purchase blocks I can always get all the cunningham I need and my hands don't hurt at the end of the day...or the next day for that matter.

The most important part is free flowing line for the weather mark. It is not fast to be leaning in for three or four yanks in an attempt to get the damn line to release. If uncleating and one quick yank sideways on the fixed side of the tack line does not run the line 100% to it's loosest point....Get a line that slides more freely.
While I am at it..I rig my dead end side of the cunningham on starboard so that I can get a quick yank on it at the weather mark. I lean , pull once and the entire control end of the line runs to the stop knot. When I let the tack line go, it passes back through the sail tack grommet and the sail is as free as it can possibly be.

i use everything from the upgraded rigging including a 10:1 cunningham. it really helps me in heavier day being that im only 130lbs.

Thanks guys, i think that helped. I'm on the extreme end of the weight scale (125 lbs), and i've been using a home-built 4:1 cunningham tied with 2 bowlins. I'm not at a lack of strength (well, maby a little-i'm very fit for a 15-year-old), but I adjust all of my sail controls completely by feel, and i'm afraid that if i have too much purchase i won't be able to feel the sail anymore.

If you are that light I would use the full 10:1. Chances are you are not strong enough to play the cunningham while on the rail if you are 125.

I have 2 Cunningham setups ready to go. If it seams breezy that day, i will use the 8:1, if it seams light i will use the 4:1. Its pretty simple. I really wont use the 8:1 unless i have to, like at the gorge. The clutter from all of the line you need to pull in is not worth it if it is light and you want to power up instead of depower.

Back