Attaching the sail to spars

Nbergmann1

Hello, I’m copying the sunfish lateen sail rigging with wood spars.
I understand that most sunfishes have the sail attached with plastic clips, I however want to use rope around my wooden spars and was wondering if anyone has any diagrams on how to lace the sail with the spars. I’ve seen some where they’ll loop the rope in sail eyelets and around the Spars going down the spars, but I was wondering if there are any other Better methods than that

If you want to do it like Alcort used to do it on the early boats, use the method you described, which is a marlin hitch. See Fig 4 below.

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 4.31.14 PM.png

Hello, I’m copying the sunfish lateen sail rigging with wood spars.
I understand that most sunfishes have the sail attached with plastic clips, I however want to use rope around my wooden spars and was wondering if anyone has any diagrams on how to lace the sail with the spars. I’ve seen some where they’ll loop the rope in sail eyelets and around the Spars going down the spars, but I was wondering if there are any other Better methods than that
How did you do? Similarly, I'm attaching the sail to wooden spars for my Sailfish. I watch the video Signal Charlie posted and I get using the marlin hitch for most ofit. Still feel sketchy about attaching the clew and head.

For the clew and the head just throw a 1/8th inch diameter Dacron bowline on the grommets and run it through the outhaul cap a couple of times. Tie that off with a couple of half hitches.

Back