Attaching numbers: any out-of-the-box tricks for applying the sticky stuff?

thieuster

Not really my hobby or favourite way to spend the afternoon. But in all honesty, I kind of like the job of sticking-on new digits. When done, the sail looks far more purposeful. The drawing that comes with the new Radial sail works fine. And with a pencil, an eraser, and a ruler, things aren't perhaps that bad. It's just that it takes me 1.5 hr to do the job properly...

I've seen YT videos and I've read manuals. I do the job like it's shown. But... is there anybody out there who has come up with a wonderful trick, template, or Laser-related 'life hack' that makes sticking digits et all easier?

Menno

In the US some companies put the numbers on for you as part of the price. I buy from them.

Here it's an additional price for putting # on. And as shown during the 2018 season, the Dutch Laser dealer SailCenter makes a mess of it... More than 20 brand-new sails were rejected by Measurement because they'd used the wrong template...

Menno

No time to reply in detail but use long straight edge combined with a 30+cm set square it becomes easy to keep the letters vertical and legally positioned.

Before peeling off the backing position the letter correctly and mark with a pencil where the letter should go near where you'll start laying it. For this I use 3 markings like a + sign 5cm apart, where the horizontal is a mark on the sail parallel to the letter and the vertical marks both the sail and the number. When laying the number, just begin lining up these 3 marks and the rest of the number will go down in the correct position.

Back