attaching hiking strap

sburke1212

Okay, so I am brand new to Lasers and I have never rigged one. I think I've got enough info to rig everything but the dang hiking strap. I have seen a couple of pictures, but I really can't figure out how the shock cord and line attach to the boat.

I am assuming that the shock cord is to keep the strap elevated and the line to keep it attached. Does the line just pass through the eyes and the strap? Is it just a loop? How long is it? Ugh. So many questions. :)

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Susan

That's what we are here for - keep asking..

Your assumptions are correct - shock cord keeps it tight and up so if you have a loose strap it doesn't fall to the floor every time you tack...

There are a number of ways to tie the strap to the eyes in the cockpit - if you don't need an adjustable strap, a simple loop is all that is needed.

Check these thread (and follow the links to the other threads in them), they will show you the wide variety of ways to tie for and adjustable, and a few ways to tie up the shockcord.

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=2125&highlight=adjustable+hiking+strap&styleid=6

Wow! A blast from the past. I was about to start rummaging around the photos on my computer to find that shot; I'd completely forgotten where I'd posted it.

BTW, I'm still using exactly that setup.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

What keeps these adjustments in place. no cleats/jamers. e.g. if you tighten and then hike hard, what is to stop the adjustment slipping. Do they rely on friction ? (sound slippy under load) or do you have to re-tie the knot (sounds slow). ?

Ian

Friction

You'll notice 3/16" being mentioned - that seems to be the best diameter - any smaller and it slips, much larger and it doesn't adjust.

49208 said:
You'll notice 3/16" being mentioned - that seems to be the best diameter - any smaller and it slips, much larger and it doesn't adjust.
Also, you want to use a line with a kind of fuzzy cover.
No fancy (slippery) high-tech stuff here!
Good'ol (cheap) Sta-Set works nicely (I think that's what I used).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

I think it depends on the method you use - for the one from Dick Tillmans book, nubby works best (Sta-Set or Marlow Pre-Stretch)

For the Rooster adjustment system ( http://www.roostersailing.com/articles/info_sheet_36_lpt.htm ) , a more slippery line seems to work better. I tried it with the Marlow Pre-Stretch and it was a PIA to adjust), once I switched that out to some old double braid I had kicking around, it worked much better.

Back