Attaching cleats to the deck

StinkBug

I just picked up a new (to me) laser and it did not come equipped with the 2 main sheet cam cleats on either side of the cockpit. Since I tend to use these cleats a lot on my other boat I decided to pick up a pair of Harken Carbo Cleats for the purpose. My question is, what's the best way to attach these to the deck? The instructions that came with the cleats shows a bolt with a nut on the back side, but obviously this isn't an area that's easily accessible on the inside.

Thanks
Dallas

on my boat ( a '74 laser) it had a wooden block on either side under the deck for the screw to bite into when you install the cleat. my boat is very old and the wood was rotted so i used 2 inspection ports on either side of the daggerboard trunk to reach and install nuts and bolts rather than screws, so it would be more sturdy. but if you have a newer boat it should be fine, just make sure you use some sealent so it remains waterproof.

Great! Thanks for the info. I take it I can just use regular stainless screws into the wood to hold the cleats down then?

Great! Thanks for the info. I take it I can just use regular stainless screws into the wood to hold the cleats down then?

In short, yes. I'm not 100% sure about the correct size to use, but I'd probably be aiming for 1.5"-2" number 10s for that job. There are others on this forum better qualified to comment on that one.

Don't forget to suirt some silicone sealant into the screw hole before you attach the cleats!

Make sure and measure twice and drill once! I was off when I purchased my 2005 Laser (this is 2007, so you can imagine my dismay) and had to fill a hole with gel coat.

Everytime I look at that mess up, I get mad!

The packaging with the cleat specifies #10 screws, so I guess I just need to make sure the length is right.

Back