Attaching Barney Post: adhesive?

c14_Jim

Sailing on Shelter Bay
I got tired of getting caught between the mainsheet and the tiller so I recently ordered a barney post for my Omega 14. (It takes 2 to 4 weeks for Catalina to get this part, by the way). I worry a little that the floor of the Omega will stand the stress. To help distribute the load I plan to put some marine adhesive under the fitting. I hesitate to use 3M 5200 because it is near impossible to remove something glued on with that. Any suggestions for a adhesive that is not quite so aggressive?

A marine grade silicone will fill the gaps. My technique is NOT to bolt it down until the silicone sets up a bit. How do you know when it's time to bolt down? Just squeeze a dab of the silicone on a piece of wood and use this as an indicator for when the silicone has set up.

This brings up another question; Is the location strong enough for this application? and if not, how do you plan to reinforce the location?

Thanks for your comments

That is the question I have been asking myself. Is the floor of the boat along side the CB strong enough? On the Stbd. side I can reach under through an inspection port and may be able to put in a backing plate of some sort. The mainsheet cleat is presently on the floor behind the CB trunk, but it may have been reinforced at that point at the factory. Using my fingers and as much pressure as I can muster I do not detect any flexing at the future attachment points on either side of the CB trunk. I will do a dry run and screw in the Barney Post when I get it and see if there is any movement when I torque on that. If it looks acceptible I may use 3M 5200 and assume it is more or less a permanent arrangement. I will see no reason to take it off ever. Jim

That is the question I have been asking myself. Is the floor of the boat along side the CB strong enough? On the Stbd. side I can reach under through an inspection port and may be able to put in a backing plate of some sort. The mainsheet cleat is presently on the floor behind the CB trunk, but it may have been reinforced at that point at the factory. Using my fingers and as much pressure as I can muster I do not detect any flexing at the future attachment points on either side of the CB trunk. I will do a dry run and screw in the Barney Post when I get it and see if there is any movement when I torque on that. If it looks acceptible I may use 3M 5200 and assume it is more or less a permanent arrangement. I will see no reason to take it off ever. Jim
-------------------------

Jim, I agree with not having to remove it ever!
Regarding the integrity of the mounting point, I see no reason you could'nt stiffen it further with an overlay-patch of heavy fiberglass cloth and epoxy!
Another method would be to glue down a piece of marine grade ply first then screw right through with stainless screws! I would personally want the screws to have at least 1/2" projecting below deck for pull out safety and maybe blunted (no point) ;)

Back