attaching a new sail

Thread starter #1
My sun attached his new sail to the spars today. He is really happy

Two questions:
  1. The sail rings are new and feel like they might unhook with pressure, I was thinking of dropping a drop of super glue on each one. Anyone else have a better solution?
  2. The luff of the new sail from Intensity sails has a large grommit at the tack for where the S-hook connects and another large one the first one up from the tack. Why is that one bigger than the others along the luff?
20190329_181223.jpg

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
I would not use superglue, just make sure to really close the sail rings
The grommets along the luff are bigger to allow for a downhaul (Cunningham). A non-racer doesn't need such an adjustment; hence, no worries (as they say 'down under')

I agree with Wavedancer. If the sail attachment clips are new, no glue is needed, and yes, the larger grommet, second up from the tack is to accommodate a Cunningham line. That's a great looking sail, every bit a good as a Class Legal sail at about a third of the cost.

Alan Glos

signal charlie

Staff member
Nice looking sail.

The rings should not unhook, just make sure the tab is seated fully. If they pop loose then there is something wrong with them and I would request replacements.

Your other option is to lace on the sail like they used to do, and we still do, old school. That won't pop loose :)

IMG_5073.jpg

Thread starter #5
Thanks Y'all!

My son is very excited to try the new sail out next weekend. This weekend he is finishing, re-finishing the daggerboard.

L&VW

I've seen two styles of plastic rings. The newer ones have sharp edges, but work the same. They each have a built-in "detent" that must be passed while crunching each together. Try squeezing with a wide-spaced pair of pliers to make sure.

Used rings tend to pop off in use. (The detent gets worn by the first release). Also, the rings' plastic construction seem to resist a few glue types I've tried. (But haven't tried super-glue, and the other glues don't hold for very long).