Atlas Garden Gloves

Rob B

Used a pair of these this weekend. They are the BEST gloves I've ever used!!! They decreased the "holding pressure" I had to apply to my main sheet and tiller extension by at least 75%! and really saved on my hands and forearms. Got them from APS for $6.00 a pair and cut the finger tips off. Can probably get them at a hardware store for $3.00 a pair. They are really sticky and you have to get used to being able to let the main sheet run fast for a quick release like at the windward mark.

Rob,

I won't tell Carl that you are now wearing gloves.

Regards,

Fred

LMAO!!! Castle Point Dingy Club was a long time ago! Job, wife, kid, "other responsibilities" = less time on the water and tender hands.

Long time Fred. You going to Wilmington for the Masters?

Just come back from a sail using gardening type gloves.

They're so grippy, it kinda negates the use of a ratchet block. I now have ratchet fingers.

Not sure I'm totally sold on the idea as gentle trimming was difficult. Having just a little bit of slide in gloves makes things easier.

The mainsheet only requires the slightest touch of two fingers to lock.

Hmmm. Will try them again later. I switched back to "normal" gloves after an hour or so.

Another consideration is in how long a pair of those babies last.

usually your lucky if they last 5 uses, then you throw em cuz they stink like hell, but their so cheap it doesent matter

I just use my Gill's, no worries there

usually your lucky if they last 5 uses, then you throw em cuz they stink like hell, but their so cheap it doesent matter

Throw them in the washing machine after every time you use them. ive made a pair last over 6 months that way. there wasnt much grip left after 6 months, but it was still better than the gill ones i used to have. well worth it.

Rob,

It sounds like the mirror image of my sad story because I have to wear gloves as well. I do plan to make it to Wrightsville Beach for the masters in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Fred Herr

Rob,

It sounds like the mirror image of my sad story because I have to wear gloves as well. I do plan to make it to Wrightsville Beach for the masters in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Fred Herr

Great. It will be nice to catch up with you and the other "old", (including me) CPDC gang.

has anyone used these for frostbiting, let's say in a larger size that would allow a thin liner glove? Frostbiting in Newport was great competition but the wet cold fingers was the main element kept me from doing it for long

has anyone used these for frostbiting, let's say in a larger size that would allow a thin liner glove? Frostbiting in Newport was great competition but the wet cold fingers was the main element kept me from doing it for long

One of the big sailing glove makers makes heavy neoprene gloves with the sailors grippy palm. They are so thick that it was hard for me to bend my girly fingers, but I imagine it wouldn't be a problem for a guy. They were warm when my hands were wet. The water was in the 40s. I forget what brand but I can check if you want.

The consensus in our frostbiting fleet at Cedar Point is the thick neoprene gloves (anything more then 1.5mm on the backs) require to much forearm use to close, even the ones with pre-curved fingers. They basically copied diving glove specs. They are listening and improving though, I believe Rooster and at least one other brand are coming out with lighter (.5 to 1mm) gloves that should deal with that.

For really cold temps (wind and water) the simple dishwashing glove over a thin glove liner seems to be the favorite in our fleet.

Back