Atlanta Olympics boat question

I just bought a new (to me) '96 Laser, barely used, with the Atlanta Olympics graphics (hull #SL1G0965F696). Does anyone know if all the '96 Lasers had this graphic, or was it a special promo run before the Olympics? Were the boats actually used in the games sold off to the public?

Thanks,
Mike

MasterMike said:
I just bought a new (to me) '96 Laser, barely used, with the Atlanta Olympics graphics (hull #SL1G0965F696). Does anyone know if all the '96 Lasers had this graphic, or was it a special promo run before the Olympics? Were the boats actually used in the games sold off to the public? Thanks,Mike

I could lie to you and say you have a one of a kind boat used in the Olympics by Robert Scheidt but that would be cruel :p ...All the 1996 model year SLI boats had the special Olympic graphics to celebrate in the U.S...They did however sell the boats off to the public so maybe...................

Thanks. That's what I assumed. I know of at least two in the same town in Colo. This one sat in a garage on a KH trailer for years unused, and appears to be in great shape. Can't wait to go get it (before it starts snowing!).
MG

Mines got Atlanta graphics in the cockpit (just text - no Olympic rings) and has a blue waterline hull.

Is that like yours?

Dave

dd2000 said:
Mines got Atlanta graphics in the cockpit (just text - no Olympic rings) and has a blue waterline hull.

Is that like yours?

Dave

I don't have the boat yet, but it's an all white deck and cockpit, with a red topsides hull stripe. The stripe doesn't join around the bow like the newer red and blue ones do, and it's not solid red - kind of a mottled pattern in dark red with "Centennial Olympic Games" within the stripe about mid-hull.

I have photos but the files are a hair too big for this forum. There doesn't appear to be a chip or a nick anywhere on it.
Mike

The boats that were actually at the Olympics came with about a 2" square Atlanta '96 sticker above the hiking strap in the back. They also had a two digit block numbers on the back of the cockpit.

The boats used in the olympics are red. The other boats made that year were blue and had the design on the side but were not used in the olympics.

Back