astroturf on hull

OGSAIL2

looking for suggestions/feedback...INSTEAD of repainting the hull of my sunfish I was thinking about astro-turfing the entire top hull from bow to stern. What type of glue should I use to adhere astro-turf to the top of boat? Thank you for your help in advance!

Ahh, the return of avant-garde Sunfish aficionado! Welcome! My love of the Hilu is partly due to its avant-garde design.

While I applaud your idea, I am concerned about your back. The boat is going to weigh a lot more due to this turf and be harder to move around. Also, after a sail, the wet Astro Turf will make it weigh even more. I have two ideas about letting you fly your Freaky Fish Flag without hurting your back.

The first is to buy a number of yoga mats in different colors, cut them into interesting shapes, and glue those to your deck. They will add some weight, but won’t absorb water. Just think of the designs you can come up with!

The other idea is cover the deck in Velcro (the soft side) and then make a sailing body suit of the hook side. You’ll stick to the boat and never go overboard (but please DO NOT capsize!). You’ll amaze your fellow sailors with the bizarre positions you’ll be able to assume without going overboard. Use this video for inspiration.

Please let us see your creation!

looking for suggestions/feedback...INSTEAD of repainting the hull of my sunfish I was thinking about astro-turfing the entire top hull from bow to stern. What type of glue should I use to adhere astro-turf to the top of boat? Thank you for your help in advance!
Contact cement, but apply it outdoors.

Some astroturf will become unbearably hot in the sun, although if deep enough, will keep beverages from sliding off. (Coffee-drinkers benefit). :)

Astroturf is used for potty-training cats and dogs. Unwanted visits should be anticipated. :(

OTOH, astroturf does reduce glare, and golfing practice to the mast step is enhanced during spells on those occasional windless days. (Unless a leak test is to be a permanent feature, any flag arrangement should include the exclusion of rain from the mast step).

YES! I've gone viral on the Sunfish sailingfourms.
Thank you for all the responses, help, ideas, suggestions - what FUN!
So my process continues... the goal of this project was to 1) save a few bucks instead of painting the hull AND 2) create a "golf themed boat" to boot.
The neighborhood lake that I sail on is pretty smooth so I'm hoping astro-turf on the hull won't get that wet. Also, the boat will have better places to sit and not slip off.
Does anyone have the exact size/dimensions of hull with openings that I could use as a template to begin cuts for openings/cuts that I need to make?
Taking a poll of the audience.... should I glue or velcro astro-turf to hull?
I await your response and greatly needed help!
Today is a good day to go sailing :)

Well, if you’re taking a poll my vote is with Alan’s (above). I think it’s a bad idea! If it was for display only maybe it would be a cute golf-themed boat, but if you plan to sail it I think you’ll regret it. A boat in the water gets wet.

Taking a poll of the audience.... should I glue or velcro astro-turf to hull? I await your response and greatly needed help! Today is a good day to go sailing :)
Contact cement will work to attach astroturf or velcro.

(But repainting the deck would be healthier and cheaper). :rolleyes:

While I applaud your idea, I am concerned about your back.
If the astroturf is an attempt to make the ride on a Sunfish easier on your backside, they make pants that have padding in them. Instead of padding the boat, you pad your butt. :). Here is one such example of padded shorts available on Amazon. Or if you want to make your own, you can buy just the padding and cut to size

1598320384380.jpeg

Back