Are there any good Laser sailing books?

DAWR

My 13 year old is going to informally sail a Laser this summer, he has outgrown his Opti. When I was his age, I really enjoyed Laser Sailing for the 1990's by Dick Tillman. I still have my dog-eared copy. I would totally give him my copy, but there is so much that has changed since that book came out. I know there are a lot of youtube videos, the older boat whisperer videos, but am not sure if there is anything in the book market for sailors. I am open to other resources suggestions. He had a good feel for sailboats and loves the aspects of racing.

My 13 year old is going to informally sail a Laser this summer, he has outgrown his Opti. When I was his age, I really enjoyed Laser Sailing for the 1990's by Dick Tillman. I still have my dog-eared copy. I would totally give him my copy, but there is so much that has changed since that book came out. I know there are a lot of youtube videos, the older boat whisperer videos, but am not sure if there is anything in the book market for sailors. I am open to other resources suggestions. He had a good feel for sailboats and loves the aspects of racing.

My 14 year old made the switch from Opti to laser 4.7 over the winter and has loved it! There are good instructional resources online. Plenty
of videos.
Also look at RYA YouTube channel.

.....also the laser class has a junior membership that gets you a quarterly magazine. The international class site also has links to tips and advice. The dealer websites usually have good simple videos about how to rig the boat. So check out Rooster and west coast sailing and colliesails.

I have Ben Ainslie's "Laser Campaign Manual" always at hand :D It's not very "deep", but it's a classic and there's a new 20th anniversary edition out.

Tim Davison's Laser Book has also been updated fairly recently.

Everything else that's available seems to be more or less outdated.

And if you have any questions that no book answers, ask them on this forum ;)

_

.....also the laser class has a junior membership that gets you a quarterly magazine. The international class site also has links to tips and advice. The dealer websites usually have good simple videos about how to rig the boat. So check out Rooster and west coast sailing and colliesails.
Thank you for the suggestion about the video and joining the Laser Class. Is it a regional North American one that you sign up for? It has been so long since I was a member.

Thank you for the suggestion about the video and joining the Laser Class. Is it a regional North American one that you sign up for? It has been so long since I was a member.
Yes. Then you can get on your district’s email list for local happenings.http://www.laser.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=64

I have Ben Ainslie's "Laser Campaign Manual" always at hand :D It's not very "deep", but it's a classic and there's a new 20th anniversary edition out.

Tim Davison's Laser Book has also been updated fairly recently.

Everything else that's available seems to be more or less outdated.

And if you have any questions that no book answers, ask them on this forum ;)

_
Thank you for the great suggestion. I just ordered it on Amazon.

Back