Are Spinnakers made for the Capri 14?

Are spinnkers made for the Capri 14?

Spinnakers are not allowed for racing under the Capri 14.2 class rules, thus no spinnaker design is shown in the handbook. However, it might be interesting to see someone experiment with one. If you do, let us know how it turns out!

One way to avoid having one custom designed would be to obtain one designed for a similar size class that uses spinnakers, such as the Blue Jay or the Jet 14.

spinnaker.

I looked into getting a spinnaker a while back. It was not acutally what you would call a full fledge spinnaker. what I wanted was whats called a "drifter" or "cruising spinnaker" for light winds on the lake I usually sail on. I started asking questions about spinnakers to sail lofts, etc. via e-mail. I don't live near enough any to visit. The advice I got was similar from the ones I talked to. It was basically "we can make or sell you a spinnaker that probably will work on your boat but remember the Capri 14 has no backstayand it was not recommended. I decided to just settle for the wisker pole. Sailing wing and wing does pretty well in light winds,but It would be nice to have a little more, but I'm not willing to risk a parchute if it could cause a dismasting(I know my own luck).

HELLO SHAUN
I THINK THAT YOU MAY BE REALLY TEMPTING THE DEVIL IF YOU TRY TO RIG A SPINNAKER ON A C-14.2 WHILE SAILING ON SOME OF THOSE GUSTY WINDED LAKES IN TEXAS. WITHOUT A BACKSTAY, YOU ARE LIABLE TO PULL OUT ONE OR BOTH SHROUD DECK MOUNTS AND REPAIRING THAT DAMAGE WILL KEEP YOU BUSY FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON....ESPECIALLY IF YOU SAIL WITH A LOOSE SHROUD TENSIONED RIG LIKE WE USE HERE IN MISSION BAY, SAN DIEGO, CA IN ORDER TO HAVE BETTER DOWNWIND PERFORMANCE. BEFORE YOU TRY A SPINNAKER, TRY LOOSENING THE SHROUD TENSION ON EACH OF YOUR SHROUD LINES TO THE VERY HIGHEST HOLE IN THE CHAINPLATE. THIS WILL ALLOW THE MAST TO LEAN WAY FORWARD GOING DOWNWIND AND ALLOW THE JIB TO FILL AND BILLOW WHEN WING & WING...THEREBY DRAWING THE BOAT ALONG QUITE A BIT BETTER. IF YOU ARE REALLY SET ON TRYING A SPINNAKER, I AGREE WITH ED JONES. YOU COULD PROBABLY ADVERTISE YOU INTEREST ON THE WEB PAGE FOR THE 470, THE FLYING JUNIOR, OR ONE OF THE OTHER SMALLER BOATS WITH SPINNAKER AND YOU COULD PICK A USED ONE FOR MAYBE $100 OR SO.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION: YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONTACT BRIAN JANNEY WHO IS OUR CAPRI 14.2 REIGNING NATIONAL CHAMPION. HE WORKS FOR QUANTUM SAILS HERE IN SAN DIEGO. HE IS MOST FRIENDLY, COOPERATIVE, AND BRIGHT YOUNG MAN WHO HAS ACCESS TO A FULL FIRST CLASS SAIL LOFT. HE IS EXPERIENCED IN MANY OTHER CLASSES OF SMALL RACING SAIL BOATS, AS WELL. HE COULD PROBABLY ADVISE YOU MUCH BETTER THAN ANY OF US. HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS

[email protected]

BEST REGARDS

BRIAN C. ANDERSON
FLEET #2 CAPTAIN
MBYC, SAN DIEGO, CA

A spinnaker for a Capri would be interesting to see but I would think the boat would not go any faster because the company made the boat so it would be a whisker pole boat. The boat was designed were the boat would not go any faster withe a spinneker.
[/quote]

Back