Are Laser hull's stolen very often?

Senna27

Between sailing on weekends, I keep my new acquisition (1975 # 29355 cottage beater) on my friend's dock. I have it locked to his Sea-Doo with a hefty steel cable. All the bits are locked in the cottage and shed.

Question is, do hull's alone get stolen very often? I know that if you want to, you can cut through just about any type of cable.

Just wondering!

sailboats are a fairly niche market item & probably hard to "fence". therefore not likely to be stolen to sell on some gray market. most likely punk kids will steal to do something stupid & vandalistic with... like try to sink or drag around behind a pick up with a confederate flag in the rear window... so the cable will probably deter most but not all... the sea doo is probably in more danger of being stolen to sell... IMHO

roshambo said:
sailboats are a fairly niche market item & probably hard to "fence". therefore not likely to be stolen to sell on some gray market. most likely punk kids will steal to do something stupid & vandalistic with... like try to sink or drag around behind a pick up with a confederate flag in the rear window... so the cable will probably deter most but not all... the sea doo is probably in more danger of being stolen to sell... IMHO
Is that a shot at southern people.:mad: :D but the only people who would do it would be a sailor and most if not all sailors wouldnt ever steal a boat especially a beater.

sorry... meant no offense... being from Tejas, it is usually the local punk kids that do the vandalism at our club... They are not sailors & they just break stuff.

lol yah i know what you ment. actually at some regattas like the orange bowl regatta and the larger regattas are notorious for having things stolen like lines. my club once chartered a couple of 420's only to rig them the first day then go down the next day to find all the lines gone. that happened at orange bowl and one time when they had 420 mids at my club i went to launch my laser and everything went good until i came in tired after a long day of sailing and someone had stolen my pins on my dolly whil it was on the beach so the wheels came off while i was pulling the boat onto shore.

Long ago when my father sailed fireballs, he was at a nationals. After a long hard days racing, it was time to unrig and pakc up shop for the day. It was a 2 or 3 day regatta maybe more i dont know, but many people demasted their boats and put the on their trailers. Their wasnt enough space in the yard for all the boats so a lot of people left boats about 20 metres off the shore. The next morning, all the boats were turned over, some vandilised and others must have just blown over. Luckily my father got a space in the yard. Thats my $0.02, neway the point is You can never be to careful with the way you secure your boat. I agree with roshambo in saying that theyd rather a sea doo with all the motor loud noises and that.

Actually, I had 2 - 1996 Sea-Doo XP's stolen a couple years ago. Mind you, they were on a trailer in my brother's driveway at the time. After a year-long fight with my insurance company, they finally paid up. I never replaced them. They were fun but with the price of gas these days, they'd be a $100.00 a day habit!

With the amount I got from the insurance co. and what I paid for my Laser, I have enough left over to buy 7 more! lol

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep her locked up, should be safe!

Here's a pic of me jumping a wave in Lake Ontario!

R-Sea-Doo-LakeOntario2.jpg

I had my dolly temporarily stolen at a regatta one time. I came in and I am looking for my dolly and it takes my friends and I a good 45 minutes to find it, and guess where it was. Under a 29er. Some kids didn't have one so they just skipped off with mine and didn't take their boat off of it. I was not impressed.

my dad was at bacardi, and while he went to get the hose, he left the mast on the daock. comeback later, and the mast is gone! but it wasnt his mast, but still! (bacardi is a big Star regatta

Senna27 said:
Question is, do hull's alone get stolen very often?
Just wondering!

most hulls are stolen either zero or one time.

I guess often is a meter of whether it is your personal baby boat or somebody else's statistic.

All of the stolen boats reported to official land when I was playing secretary of official land were in four categories:

1. I forgot that I loaned it out. ( A couple boats a month )

2. Blew off the dock ( About once a week all summer)

3. Removed by the owners of the facility where the loser has stored the boat without authorization. ( Generally a spring thing when the former Laser owner showed up where he abandoned the boat the year before... maybe ten of these in 3 years)

4. Actually stolen. (At least five in three years)

space

gouvernail said:

Gouv, are you feeling blue because you can't make it to Sandusky this weekend? :( :( :( Cheer up. You've got the Easter Laser regatta, and that's almost as good. :cool:

Back