Class Politics Are Intensity Sails Faster? Etc.

Deimos

I have been going over this with my production guys. This is their response;
The fact that the Intensity sail is faster than a "race" sail in many conditions is an added bonus.

In which case I suggest that any club that has allowed Intensity sails for club racing dis-allow them now. To my mind a central principle of Laser sailing is that people compete on equal equipment terms. For clubs to start allowing people to go out a buy a faster sail is not part of Laser sailing.

The Intensity sail might be cheaper than a class legal sail but then all those people who have paid for class legal sails yet want to compete on equal terms will also have to go out and buy an Intensity sail as well. I think clubs have to recognise what a Laser is and that people who have already paid out for the expensive class sail should not need to pay out again to be on equal terms to others.

Ian

Re: Shaping an Intensity sail

I am sure that no one wants to hear me say that the sails perform equally so I suggest you search the forums for independent observations.

This was the opinion of one of my production guys that does not sail lasers. His technical knowledge of the construction of a sail is top notch. His experience sailing them is not.

I would not have started making these If I felt that there was any inherent advantage or disadvantage (other than price)

To say that I regret his statement and disagree is an understatement.

I would not have started making these If I felt that there was any inherent advantage or disadvantage (other than price)To say that I regret his statement and disagree is an understatement.

THe BS meter is running pretty high now...first you run what is basically an add for your knock-off non class legal sails touting they are faster then classs sails but when someone calls you on it you whine that its a production guys statement (that you typed) and you regret it because you are altruistic and just want to help your fellow Laser sailors....total BS. By the way where exactly are these knockoff sails made again?

Intensity,

When shooting yourself in the foot, I'm wondering if you use your good dinghy boots, or a practice shoe? ;)

There is absolutely no evidence (other than hearsay that we wouldn't believe if it were asserted in marketing materials anyway) that the current crop of practice sails is anything other than a copy of the class legal sail in a slightly heavier cloth.

Who cares whether it is faster or slower? It is only to be used for PRACTICE. The most important feature of a practice sail is not whether it is incrementally faster or slower than a class legal sail, but rather whether it accurately reproduces the effect of various sail control adjustments to allow for boat handling practice.

THe BS meter is running pretty high now...first you run what is basically an add for your knock-off non class legal sails touting they are faster then classs sails but when someone calls you on it you whine that its a production guys statement (that you typed) and you regret it because you are altruistic and just want to help your fellow Laser sailors....total BS. By the way where exactly are these knockoff sails made again?

Boathouse - you have just as much reason for bias as Intensity. You are after all motivated by the same thing - financial profit. As such I thought you would support the free market economy? Obviously "Big Brother Laser" has had a word in your ear?

Sheesh, I decided to move my own thread because it's getting all class political.

I bought an Intensity Radial sail and am having trouble with it. In light to medium air, I can't get rid of the lump of cloth behind the luff that runs vertically on the entire height of the sail. I think this is a factor of the extra cloth weight and extra resin in the sail, making it stiffer, and I've seen it on a full sized Intensity sail, as well. Normally, one could adjust the outhaul to pull this "lump" out, but it doesn't work with this sail. The mast sleeve is also wider than on my legal sail and I don't know if this is a factor in the sloppiness of the sail. Can anyone who has an Intensity sail guide me? Is there a way to flatten this sail?

You are right. It is all BS to think that either sail has an advantage. The great Irony is that this thread was started as the above quote shows complaining about not being able to set up the sail. Now the complaint is that it is faster. Well there you have it. The truth is that it is level in performance but not price. It suits the purpose it was made for very well. A practice sail.

I shared the complexity of making the Radial with a firmer finished cloth. An engineer feels that in theory it should be faster in some conditions. That Sailors, including some very high level radial sailors have felt that it was level with the class sail and served the purpose of being a great practice sail also convinces me of this.

I have to believe that with the quantity of sails that we have sold and shipped worldwide in the last year and a half and continue to sell daily. That if they were a real difference it would have surfaced on these very pages.

That reality speaks for itself.

You are right. It is all BS to think that either sail has an advantage.

May seem a daft question, but if this is the case, why do you claim that your sail is faster (than a class legal sail) under many conditions. It was you that claimed this. Nobody was even asking about the speed comparisons but you felt obliged to share this fact with us.

Is this updated/revised claim based on new tests carried out or is it changed just because it has identified a good reason why clubs should not allow Intensity sails to be used in club races.

Ian

May seem a daft question, but if this is the case, why do you claim that your sail is faster (than a class legal sail) under many conditions. It was you that claimed this. Nobody was even asking about the speed comparisons but you felt obliged to share this fact with us.

Is this updated/revised claim based on new tests carried out or is it changed just because it has identified a good reason why clubs should not allow Intensity sails to be used in club races.

Ian

Not a daft question. I sent the question to one of my engineers and a link to this thread. I received his answer. I read through it and simply missed his erroneous claim. I cut and pasted his answer. As you can see I prefaced it with my comment that this was the response of my production person. The claim has no actual basis in fact.

To also clarify;This is only regarding the construction of the radial sail NOT the full rig or 4.7.

Intensity,

Can you ask your engineer what it is that makes these sails faster - I assume he/she has a reason for stating this - and how it is that this statement applies only to the Radial and not the Full? As you mention, the speed is based on the firmer cloth. So is the Radial Sail cut from different cloth than the full? Anyway, you've pretty much lost my vote. I trust you sent your question to one of your trusted engineers, and now that you don't like what he/she said, his/her opinion is of no consequence. Sorry - things don't really work that way in my mind.

SailChris - as to the who cares if the sail is faster or slower - I do. I get out one day a week - I have other commitments that prevent me from getting out more - new kid, new house, full time job blah blah blah - some may know the drill. That one day for me is MY day - what may be practice for some is quite serious for others. This one day is the day I get to be a kid, to race, be competitive, to be equal and be the only one to blame for mistakes - and maybe sit around the parking lot with a beer telling lies about races not won etc...

Anyway, back to the grind.

M

SailChris - as to the who cares if the sail is faster or slower - I do. I get out one day a week - I have other commitments that prevent me from getting out more - new kid, new house, full time job blah blah blah - some may know the drill. That one day for me is MY day - what may be practice for some is quite serious for others. This one day is the day I get to be a kid, to race, be competitive, to be equal and be the only one to blame for mistakes - and maybe sit around the parking lot with a beer telling lies about races not won etc...

My comments were based on the hypothesis that the speed difference between a practice sail (by which I mean a non-class legal sail that is essentially a copy of a racing sail) is probably very slight, if it exists at all. I also suggest that the speed difference between a practice sail and a racing sail is less than the speed difference between a new racing sail and an old racing sail that might be used for practice.

So, even if the speed difference between a practice sail and a racing sail is enough to make a difference in a race, which it probably isn't, it won't affect your practicing. If you are practicing then the most important quality of your practice sail is whether it duplicates the effects of sail control settings to allow you to practice boat handling maneuvers without adjusting the practice sail differently than your class legal race sail.

Even if you are practicing with other boats, then you can all use your practice sails, or all use your racing sails. Regardless, unless you are doing some pretty advanced group practicing, the speed difference, if any, won't make any difference.

If you are racing, you use your class legal racing sail; the same class legal racing sail that everyone else is using, thereby avoiding any of the above concerns about relative speed.

SailChris,

I understand what you mean - I guess I see it a bit differently though. One person's practice is anothers olympics - and the introduction of practice sails, means that the guy who is racing will have to ask the one that is practicing to please use his racing sail.

My point is that no-one wants to be the jerk that says, 'scuse me, but this is my one night to be a champ, can you please use your racing sail' - that has a tendency to ruin the fun for all. Prior to the knockoff's, that was not a conversation that was necessary.

I see your point, but do you see mine? (I am not trying to be a wise a$$ - I am asking honestly if I am making sense.)

Anyway, seeing as you are in Foxborough, we may see each other on the water some day - I am in NH - please come to the NH Seacoast Open Laser Regatta - Dover, NH. Check the D7 site for more details.

Thanks
Matt

I see your point, but to me, racing is racing and practice is practice. If you are sailing against other people, you are racing. If you are sailing with other people, or alone, you are practicing.

Anyway, seeing as you are in Foxborough, we may see each other on the water some day - I am in NH - please come to the NH Seacoast Open Laser Regatta

Will the NH Seacoast Open Laser Regatta include racing, or just practice?

LOL -

Mostly racing, but I don't think that there will be a measurer there so there may be some practice.

;-)

M

Intensity,

Can you ask your engineer what it is that makes these sails faster - I assume he/she has a reason for stating this - and how it is that this statement applies only to the Radial and not the Full? As you mention, the speed is based on the firmer cloth. So is the Radial Sail cut from different cloth than the full? Anyway, you've pretty much lost my vote. I trust you sent your question to one of your trusted engineers, and now that you don't like what he/she said, his/her opinion is of no consequence. Sorry - things don't really work that way in my mind.

M

We have been selling our sails for the past year and a half. Nearly 1000 sails are in use world wide. I have not heard even one report of our sails differing in actual performance to the class legal sails in the full rig, radial or 4.7. The theory of an engineer is far different than this record of actual use.

I am truly sorry to have "lost your vote" on this issue. Our record of manufacturing a quality product at a very affordable price that serves a real need speaks for itself.

We have been selling our sails for the past year and a half. Nearly 1000 sails are in use world wide. I have not heard even one report of our sails differing in actual performance to the class legal sails in the full rig, radial or 4.7. The theory of an engineer is far different than this record of actual use.

I am truly sorry to have "lost your vote" on this issue. Our record of manufacturing a quality product at a very affordable price that serves a real need speaks for itself.

I think this relates to what Laser sailing is about. Fine, if somebody wants to produce knock-offs (and no laws are being broken) then that is their choice. However, those using these sails should respect the reasons many others got into racing Lasers (i.e. no compete on equal terms with the "same" gear). When a manufacturer of knock-off sails goes on a public forum and posts that his sails have a speed advantage it rightly should cause those sails to be banned by all clubs for any races.

If they are not faster then it is pretty disreputable for the manufacturer to claim on a public forum that they are (and then what other claims from the manufacturer come in the same category). If they are faster then club races should ban then from any races (at any level).

Ian

If they are not faster then it is pretty disreputable for the manufacturer to claim on a public forum that they are (and then what other claims from the manufacturer come in the same category). If they are faster then club races should ban then from any races (at any level).

Ian[/QUOTE]

For those not familiar with this thread. The manufacturer, Me, makes the claim as stated above that there is no difference in speed. My reputation speaks for itself for making a quality product that we stand behind. best to speak to someone actually using our product without an ax to grind against my company for an unbiased opinion.

Ian

All,
This was a thread created with a specific question. I'm going to hive off the practice sail/ racing sail arguments into its own thread, after I have some breakfast. Hmm...what's a good title for the new thread?

...best to speak to someone actually using our product without an ax to grind against my company for an unbiased opinion.

I have no axe to grind against Intensity sails. I certainly cannot comment on the quality (because I don't have the experience or qualifications to make any judgements in that regard).

I tend to prefer the class remain a strict one design where people use the same gear and results are down to individual skill rather than gear. It was actually the claim posted by Mr. Intensity sails that his sails were faster that alarmed me (after all, he is the manufacturer). But now as this has been noticed, we seem to now be claiming they are not faster.

So do we believe the original claim or the later claims ?

Ian

Re: Are Intensity Sails Faster?

Intensity,

I don't have any axe to grind either. It was the post regarding the Sailmakers opinion that alarmed me - prior to that, I really did not think that much about it - there are a few of your sails in my fleet and I did not worry about it - now, not so sure and that is unfortunate.

As I go through all these threads, there is only one fact:

1) Class Sails are more expensive that Intensity Sails

There are a number of opinions:

1) Laser Sails tend to lose useful life quickly
2) People need to buy new sails often to remain competitive
3) Intensity sails are or are not faster than Class Sails

These are all opinions that can be debated until the cows come home. Exactly that 1 design is supposed to aviod. But seems to me that introducing "Practice" sails leads to the argument as to what is practice and what is not - as noted in the new thread. I would prefer not have to think about it at all, which is why I sail a Laser and not a Finn.

Apologies if you took offense, none was intended, just posting my concerns and opinions.

M

the issue here should not be why intensity is making a "knock off" i think it should be why are we all being ripped off by north sails and Hyde. north sails and Hyde are probably the two biggest sail manufacturers in the world and they have all of the high tech facilities and resources to produce the sails cheaper then intensity sails yet they charge over 300-400 dollars more then intensity and l the sails have a shorter a shorter life. i think that it is a good thing what intensity does because it helps more people get into the sport. i agree that it is a great thing to be a strict one design but i disagree that being a strict one design gives manufacturers the right to create a monopoly and over charge on "class legal" parts, which is something that turns people away from being part of the sport. thats just my opinion maybe I'm missing part of the story or uneducated but the sail is marketed as a practice sail intensity cant control how people use them.

the issue here should not be why intensity is making a "knock off" i think it should be why are we all being ripped off by north sails and Hyde. north sails and Hyde are probably the two biggest sail manufacturers in the world and they have all of the high tech facilities and resources to produce the sails cheaper then intensity sails yet they charge over 300-400 dollars more then intensity and l the sails have a shorter a shorter life. i think that it is a good thing what intensity does because it helps more people get into the sport. i agree that it is a great thing to be a strict one design but i disagree that being a strict one design gives manufacturers the right to create a monopoly and over charge on "class legal" parts, which is something that turns people away from being part of the sport. thats just my opinion maybe I'm missing part of the story or uneducated but the sail is marketed as a practice sail intensity cant control how people use them.

I think this is getting spread over so many threads now that even I have to work to find it, but... we are not getting "ripped off" by North and/or Hyde. They are producing a sail that probably costs pretty much the same to make as any practice sail on the market. The difference in price comes in the distribution system: class legal sails are builder supplied and sold through the builder's dealer network, adding at least two more layers of overhead and "profit" between the producer of the sail and you, the end user.

Of course, we also know that both the builders and the dealers are actively supporting sailing at all levels. Their "profit" from the sale of sails is helping them do that.

It certainly isn't buying them a private jet...

I think that there are 2 seperate issues -

The price of the Sails is certainly too high and can reasonably be called a 'rip off'. Sorry SFBayLaser, I don't buy the idea that the distribution & dealer cost tacks 360 dollars to the price of a sail. There has to be a hefty profit built in there somewhere - they have a monopoly, they know it, and abuse it. Although I am sure that they all love sailing and are all great people, they are a business, whose ultimate goal is profit and this is a sure fire way to maximise it. They may in the end kill the golden goose however with this sort of pricing structure and in the process screw up the class.

Having said that, I am still not for the idea of having sails with different characteristics racing on the same course . That seems like a very slippery slope and one that ought to be resisted.

I would think that we would all be better served by having the class put some pressure on the Makers to lower the cost a bit. But I suspect there are some pretty rigid contracts in place to make sure that the class has little input into that sort of thing. I am sure there are people out there that know a lot more about this than I and would be interested in hearing about what the Class arrangement is with the builders.

Thanks,

Matt

Sorry SFBayLaser, I don't buy the idea that the distribution & dealer cost tacks 360 dollars to the price of a sail.

I don't have experience of the sailing business (other than from a user/customer perspective). However, based on the electronic devices (MP3 players, Personal Organisers, etc.) than I can see how that level of mark-up would be expected. In fact, given that Laser sails are probably higher shipping costs and slower moving from a retailers perspective I'm surprised there is not a higher mark-up (though I guess it depends on how Vanguard and Chandler split the amount).

I
Having said that, I am still not for the idea of having sails with different characteristics racing on the same course . That seems like a very slippery slope and one that ought to be resisted.

I agree. If Laser racing is a strict one design then it should be just that. If somebody spends their money on a Laser in order to be able to compete against others using the same gear and then finds out he/she has to compete against others with different gear then I could appreciate them being well disappointed. Its not what Lasers are about.

Seems to me the "knock-off" merchants are in it for their own profit rather than the good of the class. In fact they are probably acting to the detriment of the class. If they believe they can make better and cheaper sails then there are loads of classes where they could build their fantastic sails which could be used without issues (once measured OK).

Ian

Hello Ian,

I also don't know anything about what retailers mark up, and what costs are normal. However, I don't think the markup on expects on electronics can be compared to the markup on Laser sails.

For example, MP3 players and the like are in HUGE demand by LOTS of people and there is no barrier to any company building a better MP3 player. If the idiot consumer is willing to pay 400 bones today for what will sell for 200 in a year, then that is the consumers fault.

However, Laser sails are not MP3 players and there are SEVERE barriers to entry into the market (as I am sure mr Intensity will attest to). As such, I don't think that it is responsible for the builders (the ones donating all this money for the good of the sport - note sarcasm) to build in MP3 type markups. At the moment, I also can NOT just choose to buy a cheaper sail (that I can use all the time) because there are rules against it.

For these reasons, I consider a 150% markup over a similarly constructed product, which I assume has some profit in there as well, to be a rip off.

Anyway, even though I don't like the price, I will play by the rules. Or as in my case, make do with a 5 year old sail. Do I think a cheaper equal sail would be good - sure - but not one with different characteristics. That is not fair to all those that have just spent the 570 dollars on new class legal sails.

Hmm, I doubt any but the super sailors would even notice any difference in the feel of a class sail, an intensity or roster sail for that matter. Personal experience showen me that our top club sailor was able beat all comers even with his flogged out class sail that had lost all the battens on the way around the track.

I feel that in this fantastic one design class there are lots of important and critical factors need to be performed consistently well that will result in superior boat speed other than a sail alone. As we all know, It's pretty much impossible for anyone to get them all right all of the time and the people who get most of the things right most of the time win.

What I do notice though is the difference in the price. You go intensity!, if it brings more people into our class by lowering the monetary entry level then yehaar! Oh just for the record, I have a physiological block and I reckon a class sail is faster. Go figure?

The fact that these knock off artists can make sails at least equal to the class approved sail, with MUCH lower pricing, is clear evidence that Hyde, North and the Class ARE gouging the sailors.

To add the fact that the class approved sails last a race or two before turning into threadbare bedsheets, must drive individual to seek out alternatives to the monopoly overpriced class sail.

Of course the Intensity is in it for the money. What do you do for a living?

North and Hyde are also in it for the money, and are radically overcharging. Either that, or the $300-400 difference in cost between the two sails goes directly to the class, and is effectively an enormous dues payment, every year or two.

How many dinghy class associations, charge $300-400 each year?

As I understand it, in the US the sails are manufactured (North or Hyde) who sell them to the builder (making a profit) and have to pay delivery (though in volume this is probably trivial per sail. Builder then sells them (making profit) to the retailer and has to charge delivery (all adding to the end price). Retailer then sells them to the boat owner, making profit as well. Thus, cost of sail in US comprises:
Manufacturing costs
Manufacturers profit
Builders profit
Retailers profit

(ignoring all the delivery charges). Quite a few people making money in the chain. Compare that to the "Knock-off" manufacturers:
Manufacturing costs
Manufacturers profit

As others commented earlier in the thread, the costs from manufacturer might not be that different. It might just be the route to market and so many people making their profit.

Ian

There are many "strictly" one design classes which I have participated in over the years. Most of which do not require sails to be purchased from the manufacture. Strict one design can still be upheld by the association through the rules and requirements the sails must be constructed to or altered by the sailmaker. Normally, royalties are paid to the association by the sailmaker when the sail is sold, thus eliminating any lost fees to the association. One loft's sails can only be faster than another if flexibility in the design is allowed in the construction under the rules or different cloth or provider of cloth is allowed.

Personally I would like to buy a sail from my local loft so that I know it is constructed with good craftmanship and if there is issues with the sail they will resolve it. But that being said, I would be happy with any loft's sails if they were offered at a completitive price and lasted at least a season.

If the class association, which is so focused on ensuring the laser class remains affordable and under strict measurements, would alter the bylaws to allow any loft to produce the sail to the class measurements (altered to allow for better durability), pay a royalty to the class for each sail, and restrict the purchase of a new sail to once a season - then we would have a more closely matched fleet. As it stands now, a better funded program can purchase new sails for each regatta and the requirment to use the poor durability sail only plays into their favor.

As I understand it, in the US the sails are manufactured (North or Hyde) who sell them to the builder (making a profit) and have to pay delivery (though in volume this is probably trivial per sail. Builder then sells them (making profit) to the retailer and has to charge delivery (all adding to the end price). Retailer then sells them to the boat owner, making profit as well. Thus, cost of sail in US comprises:
Manufacturing costs
Manufacturers profit
Builders profit
Retailers profit

(ignoring all the delivery charges). Quite a few people making money in the chain. Compare that to the "Knock-off" manufacturers:
Manufacturing costs
Manufacturers profit

As others commented earlier in the thread, the costs from manufacturer might not be that different. It might just be the route to market and so many people making their profit. Ian

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner.......

The above is probably true, but the fact remains that we must buy overpriced mass produced sails that look bad out of the bag and only get worse, quickly.

Perhaps a revision of the supply chain in this internet age is possible?

Couldn't Hyde and or North be allowed to skip the middle men, make a royalty payment to the class for each sail?

And couldn't the class review the sail specs and construction techniques, to allow an equal sail that would have some longevity?

None of this is rocket science guys and gals.

The above is probably true, but the fact remains that we must buy overpriced mass produced sails that look bad out of the bag and only get worse, quickly.

Couldn't Hyde and or North be allowed to skip the middle men, make a royalty payment to the class for each sail?

And couldn't the class review the sail specs and construction techniques, to allow an equal sail that would have some longevity?

None of this is rocket science guys and gals.

It's not rocket science, but you need to clearly understand how the relationship between the builders (PSE) and the class works.. The builders are under license to produce the class approved boat (including all parts) for the class. As part of that license they are allowed to determine the prices that we, the end user, pay, and they determine the supply chain.

So, if by some mis-alignment of the planets, the class and builders agree to allow the sailmakers to sell direct to the end user, the builders are going to have to raise prices on everything else "Laser" to make up for the lost revenue. And don't forget the local dealers either - take away part of their revenue and they will have to find other ways to replace the lost revenue

The above is probably true ...

Unfortunately it would not necessarily have a good effect. In the UK you buy your sails direct from PSE (the builder) and they are a lot more expensive than in the US. Thus, eliminate one set of delivery and profit charges and the price to the customer goes up.

I think it is an issue of the modern economy - no longer "a fair product for a fair price" but as much profit as possible. Shareholders/owners often clamour for ever increasing profits and they have to come from somewhere.

Ian

If the class allows the builders to abuse the class members as you describe, then perhaps the class should start considering other arrangements.

Back