Are foils made of Ozonlynium superior to others?

How much better are foils made of ozonlynium?

• Who will be below me on the podium at the 2012 Olympics?

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • If I only had them I would win everything without having to sail.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • If I only had them I would win everything without having to hike out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Our perennial fleet champion just got them and I still can't beat him.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I read on the internet that they are better and I have to get them.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Real sailors don't need no stinkin' foils.

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

SFBayLaser

Several recent threads on The Laserforum have commented on the new GRP foils currently available in the Australia and New Zealand markets (Performance Sailcraft Australia's market region). These comments spark the question of just how superior foils made of ozonlynium (rhymes with ozone-linium or, more rarely, oz-only-nium) are to other, more readily available foils. Apparently ozonlynium is an extremely rare substance outside of Australia/New Zealand and prices have skyrocketed recently on the world commodities markets, in turn driving the price for the few products made of ozonlynium to have been liberated from down under. For example, Laser centerboards made of the stuff have been seen on the spot markets at over $1000/blade!

In the particular case of foils made for a Laser, the ozonlynium foils have been tested repeatedly by the ILCA Technical Officer and shown to match identically in all prescribed specifications (e.g. shape, flexibility, weight, etc.). Yet sailors outside of the PSA market area know that its the use of ozonlynium that gives these foils an unmeasurable advantange over the standard foils available to them.

Hmmm... its true that the TO is Australian... maybe he is in collusion with the Ozitians (who work the super secret ozite mines in the middle of Australia)? Interesting conspiracy theory worth pursuing... maybe a connection to the ozonlynium found in Roswell?

Anyway, this poll aims to get to the bottom of this so the World Council will have solid scientific evidence for the unmeasureable advantage these foils provide and help them to determine what to do about this issue. Please carefully select the correct poll response based on your knowledge of the use of ozonlynium. And please comment directly in this thread to help give further anecdotal evidence as to their superiority.

:D

My sources say that a dope smoking Laser sailor, using a rolled Hyde sail :D, and the forementioned ozonlynium foils can sail higher :D and faster, approx 1.5 knots (.5 knots for each mod). Combine that with with a faired bottom and 33mm faired blades, along with a Zhik ludicrious warm hiker, and the speeds approach the top secret foiling Laser currently under developement :rolleyes:

Ever since I bought Paige Railey's used Ozonlynium foils I've been so fast that I've gone to plaid. I also hiked into darkest Australia and found the ozite mines! For a small sum, enough for a tricked out new Laser, I'll divulge the location! I'll be wearing cheap sunglasses from now on so the Ozites won't recognize and whack me. :cool:

The problem is that the Ozonlynium fibers have a specific orientation created when they were formed deep in the earth. Once mined and used in foils they tend to revert to their natural orientation. This is what makes them such a fantastic substance for use in Laser foils.

That's all well and good in Australia but when they're brought to the Northern Hemisphere their natural orientation is, of course, upside down up here. Thus people sailing with these foils in the Northern Hemisphere capsize way more than they should. You can't fight physics! This high rate of capsizes for Northern Hemisphere sailors using these foils is a growing scandal that PSA has been desperately trying to keep under wraps to protect their lucrative black market business which was transferring vast amounts of wealth from the Northern Hemisphere to the Southern. But now that it's on the internet you know it's true.

The looming economic meltdown in Australia as a result of this scandal coming to light could put the worldwide housing and banking crises of the past year to shame. The financial devastation will be immense so those of you who were going to buy these foils for use in the North should immediately take your $1000, wrap it up in some pages from teh recent issue of The Laser Sailor (you are a class member, right?) and mail it (express mail, they need it bad!) to:

Ozonlynium Southern Hemisphere Stimulus Incentive Taskforce
57 North Poowong Road
Poowong, VIC
Australia

(it's ok to abbreviate the title)

Don't wait, we're counting on YOU to avert the coming crisis!

Life just isn't fair!

I absolutely know that my lousy results at local regattas this past season are due to the fact that I can't afford those fantastic, newfangled, absolutely awesome, (not to mention super cool) Ozonlynium blades.

Thanks for giving me an outlet for my frustrations; I feel better already...

So when I buy a set of Ozonlynium blades on on eBay, how can I be sure of the source of the Ozonlynium material? I don't want to be responsible for buying a "blood centerboard" or a "conflict rudder".

af far as foils go its the shape that give it their efficiency. as long as they are the same shape they should be just the same. that being said you would want whatever is light as possible but lasers being a one design they should all weigh the same. so any one in NA just save your cash and keep your foils and if you feel like spending some cash get some coaching

That's all well and good in Australia but when they're brought to the Northern Hemisphere their natural orientation is, of course, upside down up here. Thus people sailing with these foils in the Northern Hemisphere capsize way more than they should. You can't fight physics!

I tend to spend too much time upside down using the standard foils so, presumably these new ones should reverse that effect (for me when used in the Northern Hemisphere).

Ian

I tend to spend too much time upside down using the standard foils so, presumably these new ones should reverse that effect (for me when used in the Northern Hemisphere).

Ian

That must be because you have a Oz(zie) boat too and i is used to being down under.... My first boat was the same, bizarrely enough once I got some practice in the boat seemed to behave better....;)

News Flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But the fastest Laser Blades in the universe are made of Unobtainium and are now shipping from Pandora in limited quantity... :cool:

Ha ha great movie but for all the millions spent don't you think they could have made up a better name???

Merrily I know. Wouldn't rolling with an intensity sail be cheaper? The jointwould last longer and you would not have to pay " The Man" all the money.

aussie%20laser.jpg

I'd like a set of foils that I can leave in my car, resting on a flat surface, and not warp on a sunny day.

News Flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But the fastest Laser Blades in the universe are made of Unobtainium and are now shipping from Pandora in limited quantity... :cool:

Damn! the guy who sold me my unobtanium foils out of the trunk of his Studebaker told me mine were the only ones! However, I just heard that there is a new company selling the latest in go-fast foils. Check out the attached document, but don't tell anyone!!

Attachments

• Daggerforth2.doc
    70.5 KB · Views: 66
Actually, I did it last year for a fellow Laserite. Not much to do when it is 10 below and there is a foot or two of snow on the ground. Forgot I had it.

Tracy, no-no, I don't go and vote to any of your aspects above :p

Tracy, my good friend, I'm asking to myself: is there something you are "frustrated" about?

Take it easy, fellow!

For me, I say: Those expensive "yellow"-blades probably go the same way like the famous "Aussie"-top-masts, some years before... new Gizmo's come ...and go ...

Here at GER we have seen some of those yellow "Aussie"-blades, yes, but let me tell you this:

At the 2009 GER International Masters, at Lake Brombach/Bavaria, one of the winners (Carsten Kemmling) did sail a Laser ~ "GER 119XXX " ... Should I explain more to you? :p ... No, Tracy, he didn't race with the with a wooden tiller ... and also: he definitely not did used those "Aussie"-blades to blame the rest of the racing fleet...

It is up to the ILCA World Council, to make the ILCA class rules "un"ambiguous and finally to not permit the yellow blades out of down under. Tracy, please explain in future: what is a "Crompton" foil, a "foam blade" a "GRP balde" etc. etc. At TLF,many newbies do not understand your shortcuts for the centerboard or rudderblade ...you understand? ;)

Have fun (... and Happy New Year to SF's racing and cruising Laser fleets)

LooserLu

By the way: Here, at this space, I say my personal "many thanks" to "Merrily", who made it possible, to send you (and Clive H., later on...) a "post-Christmas-gift" of me. Let me know, and the others at TLF here, if "you" like it or not. ;)

By the way: Here, at this space, I say my personal "many thanks" to "Merrily", who made it possible, to send you (and Clive H., later on...) a "post-Christmas-gift" of me. Let me know, and the others at TLF here, if "you" like it or not. ;)

It's snowing buckets here now. I won't make it to the post office until next week.

It's snowing buckets here now. I won't make it to the post office until next week.

Yup, I have seen it at our general TV weather forecast. USA is getting the winter from Canada actually (even Florida seems to get a sort of "winter") and we, at tiny GER/Europe, eastside of the big pond, gets the big hit of the winter from "Putin" (high pressure) and "Berlusconi" (low pressure) - means: much snow, much wind and low temps.... :0 :0

Tracy sure excuses, at sunny CA ...
Lu

Back