Aquired my dreamboat yesterday

Probably gonna need to be refinished but I'm very stoked to own a wooden sunfish so I had to share. I know the sail is too big for those spars but I just wanted to see how it would look on there. They need a good varnishing this winter anyway.
IMG_20180827_112101.jpg
MVIMG_20180827_112144.jpg
MVIMG_20180827_112153.jpg
MVIMG_20180827_112216.jpg
IMG_20180827_112135.jpg

Not as old as signal Carlie's but I like the cockpit design on this boat no holes for water to get into if I capsize!! It has been in storage for 30+ years! Gotta come up with a good name for her.

Looks great, she's going to draw attention. You need some floorboards and check those spars, if they are 12'6" or so they are Sailfish spars (oh wait, do those go to your Standard Sailfish?).

Keep us up to date!

Cheers

They are definitely sailfish spars I picked them up with another standard sailfish that needed work. But I wanted wooden ones for the astetic. I will have to get a sail that is the right size my sunfish racing sail was not all that happy being squeezed on there but it worked. Like I said above the boat and the spars need some love this winter. She's definitely getting the west systems clear epoxy and a coat of varnish just cuz I like the look of varnish haha

I think the best looking boats have natural woodwork!! They take more work I imagine but I still want to own one some day!

Wow. Between this and FrankK's pics it was a good weekend for interesting new sunfish. (well not new, but you know what I mean)

2 coats of West System with 207 Special Clear Hardener is what we used on ZIP. We didn't bother with varnish because she stays inside when not being sailed, spoiled.

With your wood working talent I think you can shave down some 2x16 lumber to make boom and gaff, cut them 1 1/2" (+) to 4 sided then 8, then spend some time with a belt sander, spoke shave and hand sander. Same for a mast, cut from a 4x or laminate some 2x. Spruce, cypress or fir.

Take special care with the old spar interlocking hardware, it is soft bronze and the half loops can shear easily if they get twisted wrong. Expensive to get a copy made.

Name, waiting for a name :)

IMG_20180829_194152.jpg

Had to share started working on a boat storage rack this evening and the two boats looks awesome next to each other. Ran out of screws and lumber! Wanna put another two by 4 on each support so there is two side by side for extra strength. It is definitely leaning a little towards the heavier boat at the moment!

That rack is gonna be nice. Are you gonna add carpet so you can slide them around?. It looks like you have room for two more boats!

Yes when I am satisfied with the support I'll add some carpeting. I also wanna get my laser on there as well. I only had to store that one last year but now I have a whole fleet this winter haha. I also have the base sitting on car rollers in the garage so I can actually move the whole thing around.

Back